Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: The secret to WFO crispy crust?

Thanks guys!!

Wade is right... It's going to be a tough sacrifice for our family to find the perfect crust.

"Hey kids... sorry, but we're having pizza for dinner again"
"YEAAAAA!!!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ken, I'm sure your dedication is an inspiration to us all...

Old 05-15-2009, 07:26 AM
Journeyman

Two more posts and Frances will celebrate her 2,000 anniversary!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Oh hey wow, you're right!

I'd better make sure I write something really useful and memorable then - for a change.

Oooops, too late...

Old 05-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

We had some interesting results with tonight's pizza bake.

I added a few extra grams of H2O in the mixer last night so I had high hydration. It wasn't too hard to shape. No problems there.

The first pizza was baked at a hearth temp of 830F with an active fire going on the right side. The video below is this first attempt. It turned out pretty good. The crust was tender and puffy and had just started to brown on top when I took it out to avoid over cooking the toppings.

It was better, but still not a crispy outside; tender inside crust.

I did a couple more pies with similar results then sat down to eat. After all pies were eaten, my oldest wanted one more for his school lunch tomorrow.

When I put this last one in the oven, the floor had cooled to around 620F. We still had an active fire on the right side. BINGO. The toppings cooked slowly, giving the crust time to rise, set and brown. This one had a light crisp to the outer crust, yet still nice and tender inside. So, we are definitely on the right track.

My biggest question is: I thought we were supposed to be cooking these pizzas at around 700-800F for 90 seconds. Is my oven just wacky? Could it be that my dome is a wee bit on the high side (around 21")?

It goes without saying that all of this evening's experiments were devoured without complaint.

Updated!

Old 05-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Oh hey wow, you're right!

I'd better make sure I write something really useful and memorable then - for a change.

Oooops, too late...
Sorry for the highjack Ken. It will be quick... I promise

Frances, there are only 3 people with more posts

James -4210
dmun - 2153
gbingham -2021

Asudavew is well behind @ 1826

I feel like such a slacker with only 298..now 299. I am going to have to express a lot more empty opinions to reach your level

Bruce
Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

...oh dear ... I didn't really want to know that... still, no point in keeping quiet now....

Ken, it sounds as if experimenting with slightly lower temps and slightly longer cooking times will produce the crust you're looking for... but please don't fault your oven for that! Your dome is certainly neither wacky nor too high (I should know, I watched it being built.)

Who cares if other pizzas are finished in 90 seconds? If you're looking for a slightly crisper crust, just do what works. And anyway, I thought the time limit for an "official" WFO pizza was three minutes...

So good luck with the experimenting and let us know what else you find out.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:32 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
And anyway, I thought the time limit for an "official" WFO pizza was three minutes...
3 minutes? I'm definitely inside the 3 minute mark. Thanks Frances, I'm happy once again!

Updated!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:11 AM
Apprentice

My dome height is about 22" and I used to cook at a temp >700F but found that my crust bottom was cooking too fast. I found that if my floor temp is around 600F to 650F, the pizza cooks much better just as you stated, and I don't have to hold it up to the dome to cook the top. A good active fire with a lower floor temperature seems to work well for my oven. It still only takes bout 2 min to cook.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Laborer

you need to brush the edges of the crust with olive oil to brown up nice . My pizza cooks best at 640 degrees 3-6 min depending on toppings less is faster. try carmalized onion in a black iron pan with olive oil salt pepper poured over chicken wings cooked in oven with oil salt pepper. omg.