Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   The Science of Dough from America's Test Kitchen (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/science-dough-americas-test-kitchen-19154.html)

Pompeii Nate 03-30-2013 09:03 AM

The Science of Dough from America's Test Kitchen

So this may be a weird thread and it might make me sound like a nerd or something but oh well. I just got done watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen and they covered a lot of the science behind making the perfect dough for the best thin-crust pizza. Of course they didn't use a WFO and just cooked on the largest pizza stone I have ever seen but it was very informative about why you make the dough then refrigerate it for 24 hours. I was actually surprised by how much I learned. Has anybody else seen this episode? If you haven't seen it I would recommend looking for it. It was a cool show.

Nate

stonecutter 03-30-2013 09:21 AM

Re: The Science of Dough from America's Test Kitchen

When was it first aired? I went to the website and there are several shows about pizza.

deejayoh 03-30-2013 10:22 AM

I use this recipe as my "go to" when I don't have time to warm up the sourdough culture. It works really well in a WFO. The sauce recipe is a good simple one as well.

There is a charge for access to the recipe on the ATK/Cooks Illustrated site, but you can find the recipe posted many places on the web - like here

America's Test Kitchen Thin-Crust Pizza Recipe - Food.com - 472204

Edit: and I don't think you sound like a nerd! I love that show, and agree there is lots of good info on there. I assume that like me, most people on this site are pretty into cooking. Otherwise, why would we put so much time into building these ovens ?!?!

scott123 03-30-2013 01:36 PM

I'm sorry, but volumetric measurements?! This is so not nerd. This is neanderthal dressed up in nerd clothing.

Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen purport themselves to be geeky and obsessive, but, when push comes to shove, it's all pretty much Betty Crocker.

Pompeii Nate 03-30-2013 02:17 PM

What Deejay said is true about having to pay for access to their recipes. But to answer the question about air date, Amazon.com who is selling the episode says it was 2/25/2012 and is titled New York-Style Pizza at Home. I hope this helps.

deejayoh 03-30-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott123 (Post 149064)
I'm sorry, but volumetric measurements?! This is so not nerd. This is neanderthal dressed up in nerd clothing.

yeah man. it aint sh!t if it aint by weight. :rolleyes:

scott123 03-30-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejayoh (Post 149073)
yeah man. it aint sh!t if it aint by weight. :rolleyes:

Who, in their right mind, would ever want consistent results, right? :rolleyes: