Old 04-10-2010, 07:35 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Recipe with Semolina

Hey rossco,
what brand of semolina did you use?

and just to confirm, you used the fine semolina right?

(going to try this tonight)

cheers
mitch
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Mitch,

I used semolina (durham) flour - a very fine grind but still has a slight granule texture if rubbed between fingers. I got it from a place called "All about bread" locally - very overpriced but they are nearby and I was experimenting so just bough 2 kg of it.

Not sure who makes it but I know that there is an Allied Mills brand which I will probably buy a bag of soon as this stuff makes the best pizzas I have tasted.

Good luck with the bakeoff - pics please!!!

Last edited by heliman; 04-13-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Journeyman

OK so the first issue -

I couldn't get fine semolina - so i used coarse. Not ideal I know - but hey I thought I would give it a shot anyway.
As soon as I can get my hands on some fine semolina - I'll try again.

I mixed this with a commercial pizza flour made by Manildra group,
and I used dark brown sugar, which gives a great smell to the dough.

I added the sugar, yeast & oil to the water and left it to activate while I weighed out the flour & salt.

I mixed the flours & salt together & set aside 1 cup of this mixture.
Then I mixed in all of the water/yeast & oil and leaving it for a 20 minute autolyse. (next time I will add the salt after the autolyse, as I usually do)

I then added in the reserved flour, and turned it out on the bench for a rigorous 10 minute knead.

I returned this to the bowl for a 1.5 hour prove, in which time the dough didn't really double - but I was pressed for time. Normally, this amount of time would have had a 1kg batch of regular dough filling that particular bowl.

I attribute this to the coarse Semolina - I should also add that I added 1.5tsp of IDY to try and speed things up, and I also kneaded for 3 minutes longer than normal to try and develop more gluten - again to try and speed things up a bit.

I knocked the dough down and divided the dough into 3 to make 3 quite large (& thick) pizzas.

There are no pics of the pizzas, as I cooked them in a conventional oven!
BLASPHEMY!!!

So how did they taste?

ok I guess - I did notice that the crust was a fair bit crunchier than the normal VPN - which I attribute to the sugar & Semolina. But I'm firmly sitting on the fence until I can try again with fine semolina! -I want to do it justice!

My non VPN recipe is very similar to this one (although without semolina) but uses 2 tbsp of dark brown sugar to 5 cups of flour (825g) - which is quite a bit more than the recipe here, and also 4tbsp of oil.

I would also like to try again with a full 2 hour prove!
(with a knock down at 1hr)

If you look closely at the proved dough - you can see the 'grainey-ness' of the coarse Semolina (it's not my shitty kneading - honest!

so - sorry for the crappy review... I'll do a proper one next time.. with the proper ingredients and time!

cheers,
mitch.
Attached Thumbnails
Recipe with Semolina-dough_before.jpg   Recipe with Semolina-dough_after.jpg   Recipe with Semolina-dough_ball_small.jpg  

Last edited by Mitchamus; 04-13-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good experiment!!! I too used a rather coarse semolina on the first round - but even that turned out quite nicely. Did you go according to the recipe I posted i.e. 60/40 Baker's flour/semolina?

I bought some fine semolina (flour) yesterday and had a close look at its texture. It is certainly grainy, but seems to absorb nicely into the flour - which does take on an overall rough texture in the finished product.

I will be experimenting with WFO baked versions of this dough this weekend as I have only baked in the inside oven up until now. Results have been really good overall and I am definitely convinced that breaking the rather restrictive mould of "traditionalism" has witnessed a new beginning in my ability to produce tasty, well textured pizza dough...

Definitely give it a go with the fine semolina - I'm sure that you will see a difference there.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:29 PM
Journeyman

yep - 60/40

Everything (except the yeast) was as per the recipe...
Old 04-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Just found this reference to the use of coarse semolina in a baking book:

"Coarser semolina granules can be substituted for the finer flour, but a much longer autolyse of 30–45 minutes would be advisable".

So, it looks like it will do the job!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:48 PM
Journeyman

Hmmmm....
I'd still like to try with the fine stuff!
Old 04-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, the fine ones the best for this - but even that needs a good autolyse of 20 mins to get it hydrated.

Good luck - keen to see pics and get your comments.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:28 PM
Serf

I used this recipe last time and it made the best bases I have done so far. I am trying it again tonight with the Woolies tip00 flour rather than the Coles Colavita one. Many thanks Rossco.

Glen
Old 07-02-2011, 12:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

I always put semolina in my dough, but not as much as your recipe. I use about 7% it gives the crust more crunchiness.