Old 09-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Problem with high hydration dough shaping

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuboyje View Post
Tom,

Thanks for posting, I read a bit on Roberto and pulled up some pictures of his crust as Keste...looks good. I'm going to give it a shot next time I fire the oven. Do you work it in a mixer or by hand? How much?
Hand mix only for a 10 dough ball batch which is what the above recipe will give you using 275g balls, just right for a nice size pizza.
I hand knead for 17-20 min, divide and put in a plastic container to room temp proof for 8 hrs. According to Roberto and our experience over the last 5 years, this seems to work the best. I did refrigerate the leftovers as I stated above for use today and it was amazingly good.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA
Old 09-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Serf

I have checked out Roberto's article and I'm not sure how interpret step 7, interesting pre bake the dough? any comments?

7. Bake the dough for ten minutes before any toppings come into play. Now add the tomato sauce and cheese, etc. If you baked the whole shabang at once, the cheese would turn to water and the meats would dry out. So don't. At Kesté, each pie only bakes for about 55 seconds because it's so fracking hot in there. The dude on pizza peel duty boasted his PR: "45 seconds!"
Old 09-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Peasant

I don't know what article you are refering to but there has never been any 'pre-bake' at any of Robertos establishments. We are running our oven the same as Robertos and we average 60-90secs tops since we have starting making pizza.

Tom in PA
Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM
Serf

The article was referring to is located following web site

Learning How to Make Neapolitan Pizza from Keste's Roberto Caporuscio | Slice Pizza Blog

7. Bake the dough for ten minutes before any toppings come into play. Now add the tomato sauce and cheese, etc. If you baked the whole shabang at once, the cheese would turn to water and the meats would dry out. So don't. At Kesté, each pie only bakes for about 55 seconds because it's so fracking hot in there. The dude on pizza peel duty boasted his PR: "45 seconds!"
Old 09-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Master Builder

I can't comment about the dough but I must say the way you set up your oven and deck look fantastic. The shape and color on that oven are very cool and just fits right in its surroundings.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dregnier View Post
The article was referring to is located following web site

Learning How to Make Neapolitan Pizza from Keste's Roberto Caporuscio | Slice Pizza Blog

Let's do the Paul Harvey's.....'and now the rest of the story' ...
I read the article and it cleary states..."The recipe, adapted for normal, nonrestaurant kitchens, follows."

That is maybe at best a 500 deg. oven with a stone.

This is a WFO forum and if anyone left a pizza in any WFO for 10 min. you would have nothing but ash left.

The recipe and technique are fine just ignore the time element.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA
Old 09-30-2009, 05:43 AM
Apprentice

tom ,i was at keste last week a great pizza lively restaurant ,and roberto is a really nice passionate man. can you recommend a mixing schedule for a kitchen aid mixer?
Old 10-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Peasant

Tgm, I followed your 8hr room temperature rise. Worked great. I have been doing a 24 hr rise in the fridge. The dough was at 65% hydration. The 8hr room temp rise seemed to possibly allow for better stretching. Thanks
Tom
Old 10-08-2009, 05:10 AM
Peasant

tomtom,

Glad it worked for you. We have found the same results. Nice supple, silky smooth dough that stretches beautifully, holds its shape well and creates a perfect, in our opinion, finished product. Not to mention the fabulous taste.

Tom in PA