Old 11-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Pizza Sauce Recipes

Remember guys, all canned tomatoes are cooked when being processed for canning, DOP or not. Canned tomatoes do not need any additional processing. For the best true flavor on a pizza just buy the best you can afford and season minimally, you will not be disappointed.
When we first started making pizzas 2 years ago we were taught by a master not to screw with the tomatoes, period.
Just process for a moment or two in a food processor, that's it. Dress the pizza with the sauce, add a touch of crushed red paper flakes and finish with fresh mozzerella and basil and you will have the best pizza you have ever tasted.
Ever time we have a pizza gathering we have at least one or two people who want the recipe for our sauce. I would give it to them but I am just to shy to actually tell them what they are craving is just good quality product.
Most of the stores in our area carry DOP tomatoes for an average of $3 a can. Some say this is expensive but we can get at least 15 pizzas from each can so per pizza it's peanuts.
Try it for yourself. As James said...'Simple is best'.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA
Old 11-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ok ...

My fellow pizza lovers have convinced me.

Tonight I shall fire my badwfo.

Sauce shall be San Marzzano tomatoes, straight from the can - crushed - with a bit of fresh basil and maybe some black pepper and salt.

Oh... and maybe a little crushed fresh garlic.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 11-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Peasant

You will not regret it.

Sounds good. I think I will fire mine tonite also.

Happy eating...

Tom in PA
Old 11-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

I used a food mill Sat evening. It did a nice job of holding back seeds and some of the tougher pulp. I have always thought you should not use a stick blender or food processor on tomatoes, because they break up the seeds and make a bitter taste.

You could also us a food mill on fresh tomatoes.

Another quick thought on canned tomatoes. The good Italian DOP tomatoes don't use a chemical "firmer" that you see in some domestic (even the ones with Italian sounding names) tomatoes. Yuck.

And yet another thought on good canned tomates, the Italian DOP tomatoes have few seeds, which is good.

James
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Sauce Recipes-food_mill.jpg  

Last edited by james; 11-19-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Journeyman

The canned tomatoes used for sauce will be processed by hand, using a fork and knife or two knives.
This is a couple minutes work that let the sauce thick and do not break the fibers of the tomato, as a food processor do.
Try this way, draining the tomatoes and incorporate your favorite herbs.
It worth the effort!

Luis
Old 11-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Has anyone tried growing San Marzano's? Any idea in what growing zone these are grown in Italy?

Granted, local climate and soil are critical and won't be the same, folks in similar zones in other parts of the world should be able to grow something that comes close.

Might be fun to get some seeds and do some home canning.

Updated!

Old 11-20-2007, 09:07 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

You can't beat fresh tomatoes. The San Marzano region is just outside Naples, with the volcanic soil from Mt. Vesuvius and a nice mediterranean climate. You can buy San Marzano seeds on-line.

Also, check out KiwiPete's tomato adventure here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f19/...ples-1290.html (San Marzano Tomatoes ... and visit to Naples)

James

Old 11-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
You can't beat fresh tomatoes. The San Marzano region is just outside Naples, with the volcanic soil from Mt. Vesuvius and a nice mediterranean climate. You can buy San Marzano seeds on-line.

Also, check out KiwiPete's tomato adventure here:
Thanks for the link! That was really good reading. Kentucky is great for growing tomatoes. Hmmm, now I just need to get a pickup truck full of rich volcanic soil...

Updated!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Has anyone tried growing San Marzano's?
All my life Iíve tried growing tomatoes, with very inconsistent results! Our soil is heavy clay so we grow them in potting mixture in large pots. This year I bought some San Marzano seeds from our local Italian Deli, but got them in about two months too late. They took a long time to germinate, then there was a cold snap, at which point they seemed to stop growing! They really havenít done much since. Will transplant them soon into bigger pots but it doesnít look good at this stage.

Paul.
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Sauce Recipes-dsc_0301-medium-.jpg  
Old 11-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Apprentice

Can you really taste the differance?
Is it because of the soil? Or, is it because of the seeds?

If you have great seeds and crap for soil will the tomatoes be the same as if they where grown in San Marzano region? (I don't think so) I am not an expert gardener but you need nice rich soil to grow good tomatoes. I can grow fresh tomatoes in Nebraskas rich top soil and have great results. If I buy better seeds will it make a differance?

I have not made pizza sauce yet. I would love to make a nice sauce with my home grown tomatoes.

keep the recipes coming.
fb66