Old 04-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Default Re: Pizza Party April 26th

I was waiting to hear from you Robert.

Glad it went well; sorry about the no-shows. We need more. :-) How were the pizzas? Excellent? How will you improve in the future? How did you store you dough balls? Refrigerator or now refrigerator?

Happy to hear that the oven did well.

We cooked only for two other couples, plus kids, and I felt like I could have had more time talking with the neighbors. In this case, no one came forward and volunteered to help!

Maybe we just need help with oven management, letting us and our guests have fun and make the pizzas. One thought.

At our gathering, I made all the pizza bases -- I've stop trusting guests to do it -- and then left them free to decorate.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

James, so true about people coming forward to get involved with the oven. Sad, since that is such a great moment.

As for the pizza dough, I had made them on Thursday, believing that a two day refrigerated rest would create more flavor (no sugar). The flavor of the dough was excellant. For storing, I use containers with tops, poking a hole for gas to exit. No need for explosions in the frig.

I made 30 dough balls, and I finished the party having 8 still. My wife made 6 desert pizzas that people melted over. I put the 8 remaining balls in a ziplock back, sprayed some olive oil inside, then reshaped the balls, and place them inside, then into the freezer.

The basil is what people mentioned created the most flavor. Of course the sauce was delicious. Wow, that took a day for my wife to make a large enough batch. Some left in the freezer.

I hope the kids on your end had a great time. Over at our place, they packed a trampelene and jumped forever.

Acoma's Tuscan:

Old 04-30-2008, 02:26 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoma View Post
My wife shares this idea being that she says I am never truly seen outside the oven area. Right Dusty?

Well, I am happy with the ovens performance throughout.
Right!

You did a great job though. We had a good time. Thanks for having us.

At our parties, we make everyone cook their own! Leaves me with more time to mingle and have a beverage or two. Just give 'em a few tips and march them out there. Plus I think it gives them a greater appriciation for the oven. None of my friends have been intimidated by it, and cooking your own is fun. Besides, seems like there is always some "know-it-all" out there coaching folks. (You gotta know my friends).

Everyone has been very impressed. Some want to build their own now!

Your oven worked perfect. It was fun for me to see another one in action.

Thanks again - lovely family you got there Robert. Keep up the good work.

dusty
Old 04-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Apprentice

Robert -
It sounds like you had a wonderful time. I wish I could have made it up over the hill to meet you and Dusty, but I was getting ready for my first pizza party with my mobile oven which happened on Sunday.
I'm glad you had a great time!
Old 04-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Robert,
I think I would rather manage the oven for a party like that and let someone else deal with the dough and pizza prep. If you plan it well and the weather is good, you should be able to draw the crowd towards the oven - I think! The weather has still not been that good here to prove my theory.

-
Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good to hear how it went Acoma! Sounds as if you're doing really well with your oven. And your guests... (as for no-shows, the loss is entirely theirs, right?)

Its lovely watching an oven build and then seeing how much pleasure it gives.

About maning (womaning?) the oven yourself for a party - I find that even when I'm not cooking pizza, if several people come over at the same time, I'm usually rushing around trying to make sure everything ready and everyone is happy, and don't have much time to relax and mingle. Maybe that shows I need to improve my hosting skills... or maybe its just one of those things.

Pizza party = very busy = not much time for mingling with guests. But on the upside you get fantastic pizzas.
Old 05-01-2008, 01:44 PM
Master Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by telehort View Post
I wish I could have made it up over the hill to meet you and Dusty, but I was getting ready for my first pizza party with my mobile oven which happened on Sunday.
Scott, you are up and runnin' already? How did the party go? Happy with the oven?

dusty