Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Pizza Dough with Sourdough starter

Yesterday I made 15 pizza's using Jays EXACT RECIPE above for sour starter pizza. For some bizarre reason, my SD starter is particularly strong these last 2 years (it's been watching me build the wfo so it's been working out or taking vitamins in anticipation...or something).

Anyhow, I took Friday off and made 3 batches of the above recipe at 10 am using my SD starter that I refreshed twice in the last 2 weeks in anticipation of using it for my party on Saturday. I made the 3 batches Fri morning, let it bulk rise for 3.5 hours then cut, folded it into 220 to 235 gram balls and into the fridge until 28-30 hours later to come to warm summer temp for 1 hour.

I used Caputo 00 for the 500 gr flour but my SD starter is always KA bread flour with the occasional tablespoon of Rye flour every few months.

The only thing different I did was add an extra 1/8 cup of water to each batch and dip my fingers copiously in water to keep the dough balls from sticking to my hands while I balled up the pizza balls. This was also the 1st time I hand kneaded (sorry KitAid) so I gave the hand balling a bit more care folding them into balls. Hand mixing was very easy and I don't have to clean the kitchenaid mixer .

In my 'cold' garage fridge, the doughs doubled better than most ADY recipes I've done. I was really blown away by the dough activity. It was 87 deg outside so a 1/2 hour or less was needed when I dumped the balls onto my outdoor worktable to work into a 12" pizza pie. I was so scared this wouldn't work out without commercial yeast and now, I have no reason to ever use it again for pizza's as long as I've got the SD starter.

This SD dough seems so much more forgiving than commercial yeast. Thanks for sharing the recipe Jay, everyone loved pizza dough and I especially enjoyed the complex, sour taste in the crust.

1st pic is my braised short-rib (Susanne Goin/Lucques recipe) with mozza, caramelized onions, a shmeer of tomato sauce and my oven dried oval/cherry tomatoes. Last pic is the cherry tomatoes coming out of the oven. I could have eaten them all like that. Also, there's my shrimp/pesto pizza but you can see the crust is quite "happy" though it's out of round and there were better looking pizzas. It's hard to cook well and play photog at the same time.

Thanks again Jay. I really appreciate your input and suggestions and have learned something new about sour dough in pizza balls.
-Thanks, Dino
Attached Thumbnails
Pizza Dough with Sourdough starter-dsc_9412.jpg   Pizza Dough with Sourdough starter-dsc_9407.jpg   Pizza Dough with Sourdough starter-dsc_9364.jpg  

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah, Dino!

Sounds like you had a mostly good experience but if the dough stickiness was too much just drop it down a few percent to 64 or even 62. Your guests will be unlikely to notice the diff.

Also...I find wetter, sticky doughs really benefit from bench forming in a layer of flour. I seem to have gotten to the point where I can reliably make round pies out of even the nastiest, softest doughs (but saying so will probably jinx me!) that way. (okay, there IS a limit - I probably can't with 85% ciabatta style dough!)

Glad it worked for you. The recipe was strictly intended to get you close. Adjustment for personal tastes and habits is expected!

Bake On!
Jay
Old 09-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Serf

So I have been working in pizza for 30 years. I have used yeast for all those years. Now I have decided to take it up a notch. I have my starter ready. I don't know how much starter I use for a 45 lb batch of dough. And what will the steps be in a commercial application?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

It all depends on how much time you plan to spend going from starter to dough. I find what I call a 4X expansion at 70 to 75 degrees will reach peak activity in about 12 hours. And the dough is (for me) also a 4X expansion so here is how I would calculate it.

45 pounds of dough requires 9 pounds of starter and 36 pounds of flour and water.
The 9 pounds of dough would require about 1.8 pounds of starter and 7.2 pounds of flour and water.

Sooo...now that we have gross amounts...
Around dinner time/early evening, mix 1.8 pounds of 100 % starter with 3.6 pounds of flour and 3.6 pounds of water. Mix and let rest overnight. It should be peaking around 12 hours later. Then add flour and water to give the right hydration. Lets assume 66.666% for simplicity. You want 27 pounds of flour and 18 pounds of water in the final mix. You have 9 pounds of ripe levain containing 4.5 pounds of flour and 4.5 pounds of water. So you need to mix in 22.5 pounds of flour and 13.5 pounds of water to make your final dough - and add .54 pounds of salt. (There is a reason i like 100% starter hydration!)

This should rise for about an hour or two at room temp and then either be retarded for up to three days or get a total proof of at least 5 to 6 hours before using. Depending on what flour you use you may need to ball the dough early (at the one/two hour mark) or it may not matter. You can find info on this site about that.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 AM
Serf

What is the best pizza target hydration if I am using a 550f residential oven with a 16" pizza stone on the bottom rack? (This is a new LG convection oven, but I have never used convection for pizza). Would convection work better for pizza? I have been using the Tom Lehman calculator and making pizzas at 62% hydration. I now have an Italian sd starter I purchased from sourdough.com. and the first pizza I made from the recipe in the instruction book with my 3day old active starter tripled in size even in my fridge. a very active starter. The dough was easy to hand stretch but the recipe was short on salt for my taste and didn't develop a sour taste yet. I am going to continue feediing it. I guess it needs more time to develop flavor.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

There is no "best" target hydration. It is a function of flour, personal taste, ability to manipulate wet, sticky dough, etc. Only you can decide what the right hydration is!

Starters begun from sourdough.com change character for at least 9 months in my experience before they stabilize. Sourness is a function of many factors and the youth of your starter is certainly a contributor to lack of sourness. Give it at least three months and preferably six months of regular use and feeding before you judge it.

Good Luck!
Jay