Old 03-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Pizza bottoms burnt

I have a additional question in regards to burn bottoms of pizzas. Last week when I was cooking pizzas for my little mans birthday...I think I ended up cooking about 18, the most I have done in one hit. Towards the end of the cook, I found the bottom of the pizzas starting to get black with grit or burnt ash or maybe burnt flour. I know when you cook a pizza the bricks go a different colour when you take the food off the floor. When doing a large amount of pizzas, should you move the fire from one side to the other of just rake some coals over the floor where you were cooking to burn away any excess flour/food that has been burnt there??? Also what way do you find best to put a pizza into the oven? I use my steel peel, but find to get it off the table you need amount of flour so it doesnt stick, and of course this ends up on the oven floor. Is it best to use less flour or use a wooden pizza board or peel to put the pizza in to cook straight up??

Cheers
Scott
Old 03-28-2010, 08:13 PM
Apprentice

Hi Scott - I'm guessing your right that the flour is burning and building up. I've heard others on the forum recommend rice flour instead of regular flour for keeping the pizza from sticking to the peel. I'm guessing it is because it does impact the flavor/texture of later pizza's as much.

I have also found that wooden peels don't tend to cause as much sticking as the metal peels. Most folks seem to like to put it in with a wooden one, and pull it out with a metal one. Probably the most important thing is to keep the pizza on the peel as short of a time as possible.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfasz View Post
I have also found that wooden peels don't tend to cause as much sticking as the metal peels.
I found this to be a fact a couple of nights ago. Also, I tend to brush the flood after a couple of pizza's to clean off any residue. If you have the time, it would not hurt to spread coals over the area to clean and recharge the floor.

Les...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.