Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 03:31 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Pizza Balls collapsing in container after 24 hour rise.

Lower hydration also. At first the lower hydration is a lot easier to deal with. Try adding only enough water to incorporate all the flour and the dough ball pulls away from the side of the bowl. The dough should not be sticky to the touch, only mix long enough to get the dough ball smooth and silky. With the reduced yeast and lower hydration, you should get a dough ball barely rises at all in the ref.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Start with 1/2 the amount of yeast you are currently using at present and see how that goes.

After eating at Da Michele in Naples a few months ago, one thing that struck me was the minimal amount of "puffing" in the crust, yet the pizza was still very light and tasty. I have since tried to model my pizzas on the Da Michele style and now do a biga starter with a very small amount of yeast and don't add any to the main batch the following day. Results have been really good and this has become my preferred pizza making process for consistently good results.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:40 AM
Journeyman

I chickened out and made my dough a 60% hydration - stiff enough to work with, but not so sloppy to lose the lot. Dough looked good this am (made last night).

The dough came out excellent - window paned beautifully and was nice to work with. And bout oh boy did it get bubbly I noticed that the dough with the olive oil cooked better than the non-olive oil as well.

However, I will do a 65% hydration next time as it would make it somewhat looser.

Follow my build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by C5dad; 12-24-2010 at 06:57 PM.