Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 AM
Serf

Default Re: Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight

I'm not sure the yeast amounts in this recipe are internally consistent. I made a batch of 1.5kg Caputo 00 flour using the "by weight" ratios, and the 9 grams of ADY called for looked like a lot, but I went ahead. I bulk proofed at 62 degrees and it tripled in volume in less than 3 hours. It was similarly active after forming balls (and still proofing at 62 degrees) for a few more hours. When I checked a volume-to-weight conversion for dry yeast (at Wood pizza oven Building wood burning brick bread ovens), it said that 1 Tablespoon of dry yeast is 8.5 grams. This recipe's amounts aren't consistent (or even very close) with that, if you look at 1/2 teaspoon converting to 3 grams. I think the volume measure (1/2 teaspoon per ~500 grams of flour) is the correct one, not the weight measurement. When I cut the yeast (Fleischman's ADY) to half of the weight (4.5 g ADY for 1,500g flour) it works much better. Using the traditionaloven.com conversion calculator, it says that 1/2 teaspoon (0.1667 Tablespoon) of ADY should be 1.4 grams.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Journeyman

Love this thread
but
Could someone please post and sticky the perfect sourdough pizza base by weight too?
I got this down pat Im still struggling with the sourdough version
Old 07-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
We have been experimenting with this for some time, and I think we are ready to offer a standard "by weight" recipe for Pizza Napoletana dough. One thing that is remarkable is how simple it is -- if you start with the right ingredients and use a digital scale, it can be easy and fast. This is an olive oil-free recipe, but in order for it to work, you need to use real Italian Tipo 00 pizza flour.

How to Read an Italian Flour Label - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

I have started working in grams, as the baker's percent is easy to calculate digitally. If you don't have a digital scale, think about getting one. They aren't expensive (you can on in the FB Store for $40), and a scale will definitely improve you baking. If you don't want to go digital, you can find our Pizza Napoletana recipe (in cups) here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/PDF/Using-caputo-tipo00.pdf

That said, I have enjoyed moving from volume (cups) to weight (grams). It is more accurate and it's fast. It can also be consistently replicated -- which unlike most home recipes, it very important.

Here goes:

500 grams Caputo Tipo 00 pizza flour
325 grams water (65% hydration)
10 grams salt
3 grams active dry yeast

First, mix the flour and water, and let it rest for about 20 minutes. Using a stand mixer set a low speed (use #2 for a minute or two, go to #4, then back to #2 with a KitchenAid mixer), blend the water and flour until you have reached a dough ball. It should take a couple of minutes. Once you have incorporated all of the flour, stop, and let everything rest for 20 minutes. This period will allow the flour to fully absorb the water.

Next, add the salt and yeast, and knead the dough for 10 minutes.

Then, make a large dough ball, and let the dough rest at room temperature for 90 minutes. It should have doubled.

Then, cut the dough into four balls (about 215g each). Shape the pizza balls, and set them on a floured surface to rest for at least 30 minutes. If you start in the morning or the night before, make your dough balls in advance and put them in the refrigerator.

If you use Caputo Tipo 00 flour and the moist (65% hydrated) recipe, and you handle your dough gently, you will reward you with a supple, silkly pizza base that is easy to shape, springs in the oven, and tastes great.
James
James, Question about the yeast. Why is it that the dry yeast is combined with water and flour? Don't you have to proof it first or at least put it in warm water to dissolve?
JerryinBend likes this.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:45 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryls View Post
James, Question about the yeast. Why is it that the dry yeast is combined with water and flour? Don't you have to proof it first or at least put it in warm water to dissolve?
you will find that most dry yeast today doesn't need to be activated
always check instructions for specific brand you have on hand but it would be years since i seen yeast that need activating
Old 08-08-2013, 09:33 AM
Serf

I made the "perfect pizza dough " recipe. I have a gram scale and did everything exactly as written. The dough felt great but when I went to stretch it to make the pizza, it would not stretch. It kept pulling back. In the end, I had to roll it out (which I never do). What did I do wrong? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Apprentice

you started stretching too early after dividing, next time give another 5-10min of rest time before you start working on it
as you work gluten it becomes stronger, if you let it rest it will relax and let you do more without resisting as much, also make sure you go directly to stretching when you pickup your balls (god that sounds so wrong), don't do kneading just before
Les likes this.