Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight

Even a rectangle would be great!

Now, have you or anyone a link to a vid I could watch?

Should this description of shaping the base be achieveable using this 'Perfect Pizza' recipe?

I really need to crack this because I'm having a Grand Opening of the oven on 20th June, with about 20 folks arriving for lunch. Am I crazy? Don't answer that.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ough-3332.html (Here are some videos about dough)

I think this is the one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Or maybe not. This is the right thread, I think. I don't have time to look for it now- but you should be able to find it with this info!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Apprentice

I did a search through those threads but didn't find anything useful (to me).

Anyone else have a link to Dave's pizza making vids, please?
Old 07-10-2009, 06:02 AM
Serf

Hello,

on this dough recipe, tyou are using 10 g salt.
On the pdf is nearly the same recipe, but with 20 g Salt.

Which introduction is correct ?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:42 AM

10 per 500, 20 per 1000
Old 12-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Apprentice

Wild yeast starters? What are they, where do you find them?
Old 12-17-2009, 07:09 PM
Peasant

Just made pizza earlier in the week with a wild starter for the first time. I got the starter from a friend who uses it for bread baking. Wild starters are essentially sourdough cultures. She made hers (or captured the naturally occuring yeast) in her kitchen. Pizza turned out good. Had a slight sourdoughish taste to it. You can buy reliable good cultures, which I will do at some point. Im sure someone here can tell you a good one to buy.
Tom

LEVAIN: A French term for a natural preferment that is essentially synonymous (in the U.S.) with sourdough. It is a culture of a naturally-occurring (wild) yeast and bacteria that can leaven and flavor a bread or pizza crust. It is refreshed periodically by replacement of a part of the culture by new flour and water, and a portion of the refreshed culture is allowed to ferment and mature (ripen) before incorporating into the final dough. The remainder of the culture is used to begin the next batch of dough. A levain, or "sourdough," can be perpetuated for many years, even centuries for certain highly-stable strains.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Peasant

I use a natural levain, too. Like tomtom, I got it from someone via a pizza & bread making class. The quality and flavor of the bread & pizza I've made with this far surpass anything that I've ever made with yeast. I highly recommend it.

One of the coolest things about a natural levain is that regardless where it originally came from, eventually, as you use and feed your levain, the yeasts that colonize your levain will be the local cultures found in your region making your bread locally unique!

Last edited by echopark; 12-22-2009 at 12:31 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Serf

Has anyone tried extending the cold ferment (using Caputo Flour) more than one day? And cooking in the WFO.

I am accustomed to extending 3 or 4 days (bottom shelf of fridge) with my regular Sir Lancelot high gluten flour to develop max flavor in the crust. It really does make a huge difference. You do have to reduce the amount of yeast for these longer cold proofs. I use the Sir Lancelot for baking in my regular oven (550 degrees).

Last edited by wayno1; 03-02-2010 at 06:15 PM.