Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight

Ken,
I've seen no ill effects from a light dusting of spray oil on top of the balls. I was just kidding about that helping to keep them from sticking.

A light dusting of flour and plastic wrap covering the balls, and tucked down between them makes them easier to separate if they rise too much.

You basically degass the dough almost completelty during the shaping phase anyway, so there's not much harm in using a dough knife (or any blade) to cut between them if they do stick together. I'm not sure if it is the dull blade that pinches the dough and almost completely seals it, but it much better than just pulling the two balls apart.

-
Old 05-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Master Builder

Indispensible is a great term. I have found that we use the dough cutter to remove the dough balls from the container. Pinch it down at the in at the side and kind of scoop under.
Best
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I have found it easy to separate the dough balls that might grown together using a dough cutter. Indispensable.
James
Old 05-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Great replies. Thanks guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Apprentice

A dough cutter is a really good tool, but for picking up balls of dough that stick together (mine always do, I don't use oil and they "grow" together) I use an ordinary putty knife. Works a treat, because you can cut the dough ball loose from other ones and use it to pick up the ball in one motion.

Not an original idea: I picked it up when I was visiting Pizzeria Salvo in Naples. According to some of the guys on the pizzamaking.com forum this pizzeria is as good or even better than Da Michele.

Attached are some pics:

- one is my putty knife
- the other shows the dough balls at Pizzeria Salvo (note how they stick together)
- the third one shows some dough balls on the bench and if you look closely, you can see the handle of the putty knife.
Attached Thumbnails
Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight-putty_knife.jpg   Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight-pizzeria_salvo_dough_balls.jpg   Perfect Pizza Dough by Weight-pizzeria_salvo_dough_balls_tool.jpg  
Old 05-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the pics, Pete.

As an update, we had pizza (again!) last night. Shortly before making my dough, I discovered I had a dough blade for our 14 cup Cuisinart processor. It holds 6 cups of flour, so I converted the FB dough recipe for 6 cups of flour (1.5 batches). The Cuisinart did a super job mixing and kneading. I've been doing this by hand, so this is a welcome discovery!

Updated!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:49 AM
Master Builder

Ken
Doughs blades on the food processors will do a pretty good job with doughs, especially the mixing part. I would suggest a bit of hand kneading to finsih as I don't know what kind of friction they create...and also the blade will tend to cut the dough rather than fold it.
Glad you're having fun!
Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
Thanks for the pics, Pete.

As an update, we had pizza (again!) last night. Shortly before making my dough, I discovered I had a dough blade for our 14 cup Cuisinart processor. It holds 6 cups of flour, so I converted the FB dough recipe for 6 cups of flour (1.5 batches). The Cuisinart did a super job mixing and kneading. I've been doing this by hand, so this is a welcome discovery!
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchoven View Post
Ken
Doughs blades on the food processors will do a pretty good job with doughs, especially the mixing part. I would suggest a bit of hand kneading to finsih as I don't know what kind of friction they create...and also the blade will tend to cut the dough rather than fold it.
Glad you're having fun!
Dutch
Thanks Dutch. I didn't do any kneading at all, and was really pleased with the texture of the dough. It was much better than what I had done previously by hand.

Next time I'll knead it a bit after processing to see if I can continue to improve it!

Updated!

Old 05-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Last night, I again used a 100% bread flour pizza dough that was hydrated way beyond my normal experience. I used Reinhart's recipe for Pizza Napolitana. The stuff was incredibly sticky, but when dusted with flour, handled like a dream. Really easy to stretch and shape.

I'm going back to Caputo for a comparison next time.

-
Old 05-15-2008, 04:31 AM
Apprentice

Just tried Jame's dough recipe (though only used ~1-2g salt). worked great, lots of elasticity and the dough was really easy to handle too!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 AM
Apprentice

Hi folks I have been using the FB Caputo recipe for making pizza for the last 2 weeks using Devela Tipo 00 and/or Molino Pizzuti Pizza flour. My experiences with both have been similar. I use fresh yeast from a local bakery so instead of 3 gr of active yeast I have been using 8 gr of fresh.

The dough rises, I punch it down and carve it up into 4 pieces and then stretch and fold each one. Place it in a proofing container and 1.5 hours later they have grown to a soft elasticy blob of dough stuck to one another.

I then proceed to take each one on a floured top and flatten and ty to get a close to a circle as possible. It cooks well and is pretty thin. Unlike when I use bread flour I can actually get this to a thin crust by stretching it ans it stays pretty good. When I use bread flour it has a tendency to want to go back to it's non stretched state.

Here's my question. How come when I see videos or even watch the local pizza guy make a pizza, the balls of dough seem more dense, not as fluffy and can actually be rolled with a pin and flattened perfectly? Am I using the wrong flour, too much yeast, too much water? Or is it that they keep theirs in the fridge till it's time to use it?

I was in Niagara Falls this past weekend and wood oven pizza's seem popular. I had one at one restaurant where they actually roll the dough with a pin. The then run this roller over the pizza which looks like little spikes on it putting very tiny holes in the dough. Then then pre-cook this so it retain's it's shape, take it out of the oven, add the toppings and then in it goes for final cooking. Different method but again their dough was perfect balls before they rolled it out.

Thx