Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   Overnight Dough Ball Storage (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/overnight-dough-ball-storage-2128.html)

james 06-19-2007 03:26 AM

Overnight Dough Ball Storage

How do you store your pizza dough balls overnight? It a good thing to do, giving you more complex flavour, better browning and blistering and the dough is easier to control and work with. The only downside is that you have to be organized enough to start your dough the day before. :-)

How do you store your dough balls in the refrigerator?
James

maver 06-19-2007 04:50 AM

Re: Overnight Dough Ball Storage

I purchased 15 or so of the cheap glad storage containers - perfect for this.

arevalo53anos 06-19-2007 07:09 AM

This answer is on other thread too (James, please choose which one is the best to maintain it)
The professional operators use the stacked or cross-stacked trays, since they have big thermal cameras and a lot of free space.
Any one of these could maintain from 9 to 16 individual pizza dough in it.
Because the number of backed pizzas by hour they need the effectiveness of the tray.
For the home bakers, the round containers helps to maintain the roundness of the dough, however, the containers need more space than the ziplock bags.
I had used either ziplock or containers depending on the quantity of dough to be used and the resting mode. Few dough = container, more than six or eight dough = ziplock when using refrigerator.
When the rest is at ambient temperature (same day pizzas, resting 12/24 hs) I prefer to use containers.
Few dough, same day resting, the balls are arranged over a wood table (wood to maintain the circumferential shape – in granite or ceramic or plastic, the dough slide to flat) and are covered with plastic wrap or humid cloth (depending the local wheater)

Luis

Dutchoven 06-19-2007 07:21 PM

I have just one proofing tray with the lid...fits in the fridge and works well sitting on the table next to the cool marble slab
Dutch

james 06-20-2007 04:49 AM

Where to you buy a proofing tray?
James

CanuckJim 06-20-2007 05:08 AM

James,

Proofing trays are available from commercial pizza supply companies. That's where I got mine. They're also called bus tubs.

Jim

Bacterium 06-20-2007 06:00 AM

I've now got into the habit of making the dough the day before. Once at ball stage it then goes into the bottom of my beer fridge(in container)
That just gave me a thought.......I have used beer (instead of water) in my damper (Coopers has lots of yeast)........I wonder if that would work in pizza dough.....mmm... :D

Ok, back to the topic
To store the balls themselves I use a large square tupperware container that is quite deep, and it holds 2 layers of 4 balls per layer (total of 8 balls). I use some cling wrap to seperate the two layers and I tuck it down the side of each ball on that layer (except for the containers sides).
So far it works but its a bit fiddly.
Bus tubs sounds good....you guys got any pics - not sure what they are called them down here....pls.

CanuckJim 06-20-2007 06:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Damon,

Here's a link for one site of many where you can get bus tubs http://www.sfbi.com/baking_supplies.htmls:

The attached pic is a thumbnail from that site. It's not all that clear, but I hope you get the idea. Good thing about these is that they're designed to be stackable in the fridge.

Jim

Unofornaio 06-20-2007 06:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Jim you beat me to it..:eek:
Here is another style I have used. these nest inside eachother one way and the other way stack to hold the dough. Your suggestion is definalty the way to go for the home frig as these are about twice the size of a bus tub. But I thought id post this anyway. The old version of these were out of wood and many are still in use today.

PizzaPolice 06-20-2007 07:22 AM

Baking supplies from the San Francisco Baking Institute - Baking and Pastry Arts School for Professionals and Enthusiasts