Old 10-19-2008, 02:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: NO-wheat pizza recipe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencookie View Post
I don't know if I would admit to using a rolling pin on the forum

...well you know, after Dusty admitted to using bought dough....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
I much prefered Quinoa, Buckwheat made the bread taste like crackers. But I've got a really good recipe for buckwheat pancakes if anybody's interested.
Excuse an off-topic question, but Frances, I wonder if you had the buckwheat crepes they call "galettes" when you were in Brittany? Local specialty, often served with fillings like mushroom, ham, and egg; or with apples for dessert.

More on-topic... is there a distinction to be made between a wheat allergy and a gluten allergy? I know a couple of people who are gluten-intolerant, but of course gluten appears in other grains.

And having typed all that, I find on Wikipedia that wheat allergy and gluten intolerance are not, in fact, the same thing. Which one are we discussing here?

Confused in Iowa,
Ed
Old 10-20-2008, 12:49 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_ View Post
Excuse an off-topic question, but Frances, I wonder if you had the buckwheat crepes they call "galettes" when you were in Brittany? Local specialty, often served with fillings like mushroom, ham, and egg; or with apples for dessert.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm talking about! They have them with all kinds of toppings... salmon and sour cream, goat's cheese and honey, brie and walnuts... really delicious! We brought back a kilo of the flour, which, alas, fell foul of a meal moth infestation before we could finish it. But I've still got the recipe somewhere.

I think Bruce is mentioned that his daughter has a wheat allergy - otherwise spelt wouldn't be ok. Looking at thesilver lining here, but that sounds a bit easier to learn to live than a gluten allergy would.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_ View Post
And having typed all that, I find on Wikipedia that wheat allergy and gluten intolerance are not, in fact, the same thing. Which one are we discussing here?
Ed
Wheat allergy. It is actually much more common than gluten intolerence. I am becoming more educated about it by the day. The most common type of wheat allergy is irratible bowel symdrome. This is because the small intestine is unable to properly process the proteins in wheat. Some people think this is because we are not cows . Which is why we have to preprocess our food by grinding and cooking.
Wheat allergy and gluten intorlerance get lumped together alot because the most common source of gluten in our diets is wheat flour. Pasta, bread, pastries, cookies and many other foods contain wheat flour.
I am actually allergic to wheat as well. I spent 2 years with constant shoulder pain before I figured this out. Long story short, if I stay away from wheat as a normal part of my diet I can manage pizza once a week without any problem. If I eat too much wheat, I have to cut back on pizza. That gives me real incentive