Old 01-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Journeyman

when tossing part takes practice, but here's a good tip: when pressing the dough out on the counter, concentrate on the outer two thirds, leaving most of the weight in the center. this way, when you toss it, the center stretches from the centrifical force, and you end up with an even thickness. also, if you never touch the outside edge (1/4"-1/2"), it will rise higher than the rest of the dough, leaving you with a nice raised crust.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:13 PM
Laborer

thanks Paul. Good tips. I was wondering when the dough master was going to weigh in! Next, I may be hitting you up for some brewing recipies soon. I'm a touch out of practice but have been homebrewing off and on for ten years or so. Home made pizza and beer. Does it get any better?!!
Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Serf

Default Re: Need Dough Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Hi Helen,

Fresh tomatoes and basil -- you are so lucky. All we can grow is mushrooms in the lawn.

First off, I have never had a real lesson on this from a pro. So take this with a grain of salt. I throw pizzas with the back of both hands. After working the dough ball out to 6"-8", I roll my fingers forward, lay the ball across the back of my hands, and really try to spin it horizontally. It's the spinning action that streches the dough. Two or three tosses, and you are done. You set it down, finish pushing out

I've seen a couple of different pizzaioli in Sorrento throw pizze vertically. They get it spinning like a wheel using their fingers. Tried it, but can't do it. One advantage to throwing is that you don't handle to dough as much, so it isn't as tough when you are done.

Have you seen this photo?
Naples Pizza Oven Photo | Commercial Pizza Oven Photograph

I think Mel saw Tony Gemignano, the American champion pizziaolo. I wonder what Tony would say... maybe we'll ask him.

James
Is there any chance of getting a step by step with pictures on this?

After reading all the threads in here and the wood fired pizza e-book, I have sworn off using the rolling pin.

But I am still struggling with forming the pizzas. I can follow the part of making the dough balls, but could use some help in the actual stretching and pulling.

Thanks,
Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Serf

need more lessons on how to throw the dough n stretch it at the same time
sk
malaysia
Old 08-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Welcome aboard.

And here ya go.

Just look at the thread, follow the links, and view the different videos.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ough-3332.html (Here are some videos about dough)

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 08-19-2008, 08:12 PM
Laborer

Greetings from Brick, NJ

I wasn't able to launch the vids.
Will try again on my home computer.

Thx,

Roberto
Old 08-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Laborer

Hi Dave,

I found your videos informative and entertaining. I am at the point where I am obsessed with all of this. It's better than drugs or alcohol I guess!
I will either install a WFO in a storefront or I may go the trailer route.

I was wondering if you wouldn't mind answering a couple of things.

I remember seeing your recipe which basically is what I follow except for the weights. I think you use 1000 g?
And also with regard to the flour, I find that the Caputo is expensive to ship from CA. I really haven't looked into buying from a supplier here in NJ.
So since you worked for a major chain, what brand did they use?

Thanks in advance,

Roberto