Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   Most important? (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/most-important-3629.html)

Xabia Jim 03-26-2008 01:13 AM

Most important?

Which of these is most important to you in terms of making an excellent pizza?

Dome Temperature
Hearth Temperature
Overall Oven Temperature
Fire Flames Licking over the Dome
Retained Heat Oven, no fire
Dough Recipe
Toppings
Other

Xabia Jim 03-26-2008 01:18 AM

Re: Most important?

Multiple choice poll, you can pick more than one....:)

vincent 03-26-2008 05:30 AM

Since i don't have my oven built; I'll refrain from voting. However i think you left one thing out Jim. A love for cooking

Xabia Jim 03-26-2008 08:14 AM

Vincent, I think that's the ingredient that get's you through those other pizzas that are uncooked on the bottom or charcoal burnt offerings.....you need those to compare to the good ones!

...like fishermen say... the only thing better than fishing is catching fish....

....for the WFO cook it's probably ....the only thing better than the cookin' is having good friends enjoy your wares with you...

james 03-26-2008 12:23 PM

If you have great dough, and the oven is 500F, you're toast. If you have so-so dough, and a perfectly tuned 800F dome and 800F hearth, you can make a pretty darn good pizza. :-)

I have a friend who has had one of ovens for years, and still uses Trader Joe's dough. :-)

James

Dutchoven 03-26-2008 02:14 PM

I wholeheartedly concur...when I voted I went in that order...dome temp, hearth temp and then dough...same goes for bread baking...IMHO...there is something about the atmosphere in a WFO that is impossible to create elsewhere...I had an old acquaintance who owned first a small bakery with a WF brick oven and then later he expanded to a very large operation and had to lose the WFO...he said his bread and rolls were NEVER the same again...great oven, right temp equals great pizza and bread!
Best
Dutch

Quote:

Originally Posted by james (Post 27610)
If you have great dough, and the oven is 500F, you're toast. If you have so-so dough, and a perfectly tuned 800F dome and 800F hearth, you can make a pretty darn good pizza. :-)

I have a friend who has had one of ovens for years, and still uses Trader Joe's dough. :-)

James

Xabia Jim 03-27-2008 01:18 AM

We used that trader joes dough last year ... did it on a small gas BBQ grill ... it was actually pretty good pizza when camping ...some day I'll post pics!

vincent 03-27-2008 08:31 AM

I agree Jim. Good food, good drink and good friends make for a good life.

asudavew 03-27-2008 07:59 PM

Overall temps!

Just my opinion, but!

Low dome temps...and high floor temps= burnt bottom

High dome temps and .. low floor temps= underdone bottom & burnt top!

Experience with the oven, is the key to good cooking !

And hot chicks are important too!!!!!

RTflorida 03-27-2008 09:16 PM

I will second the hot chicks :D

RT