Old 07-23-2009, 07:16 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Mobile Pizza Tips

You really need to get with the health department before you start to consider any type of equipment. I can tell you it took me over a month or two in dealing with my health department before they would license me with my oven as they had never seen anything like it before. Talking with them is going to answer many of your questions because they are going to want to see certain things in your setup. You will need to look at refrigeration or cold storage in coolers, you will need to look at handwashing stations as well as other things for an onsite event and that doesn't even touch on the fact that you will need to work with a commissary or a licensed food facility to make, prep or store any pizza ingredients. I can't stress enough that you need to get with your local health department before you progress much farther. After you talk to them and decide you want to move forward, please feel free to email me or give me a call and I can help you with some more of the logistics. I do not consider myself an authority on this at all, but have been doing it for over a year and have made a some mistakes and also done some things right during that time and would be glad to pass on whatever info I can.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Apprentice

Hi Guys

I am heading in the direction of American Style Pizza. Considering two types. Either NY Style or Pappa Johns Style. I am planning on getting a Aluminum peal together with a few stainless steel peels.

Mitchamus: Could you elaborate more on how Dough Docker Spoil Good Pizza.

What's the wire brush for, may I ask?

Any other equipment that comes to mind, guys?

Will definitely keep you posted.
Regards
Oven_Man
Old 07-23-2009, 11:58 PM
Apprentice

Hi telehort
Just viewed your post now.

I am based in South Africa.
I know a lot of people that have mobile food stores setup here. Some products are freshly made. None have any real problems. If I have to tell you about other parts of South Africa where the food would literally make you puke because of the environment and way it is prepared, I think my setup would Ace any health department rating.

I really look forward to hearing your tips and advice. My main concern right now is where to keep the dough and the ingredients. The rest of the stuff is fairly under control and in order. Maybe you could enlighten me on how you operate from start to end, as well as the type of equipment you have, the type of pizza you make right to the time you put a freshly baked pizza in it's box and hand it over to the customer.

It's good to find someone that already does what I plan to do.
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me.
I really appreciate it.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Oven_Man
Old 07-25-2009, 01:44 AM
Peasant

I think with the food cost of South Africa...your going to have a hard time.

Go buy a book. Read it, make some pies. Get your bearing straight. Do you enjoy making pizzas? Have you ever? Nice entrepreneurial thoughts.....
Old 07-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Apprentice

Hi Jraducha

Quote:
I think with the food cost of South Africa...your going to have a hard time.
I guess by your comment, you mean the food cost here in SA are high.
May I ask where you get that notion from?

Regards
Oven_Man