Old 02-15-2010, 06:51 PM

Default Re: MIXERS....I need help deciding

the Berkel 20 qt mixer's a pricey machine too.

It looks kind of Hobart-like.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:03 PM
Peasant

Thanks so much for all the replys...I just want to mention that the SP5 I was looking at is manufacutered by GLOBE. It is not the same as the one others are referencing here. It is a commercial counter top mixer. Globe makes units as large as 60qrts...so they are truely commercial. I have gotten prices that are in the 550 range from the restaurant suuply house where we get our supplies for our gelato business. The equipment rep highly recommends these products especially for the size batches that I intend to make.

I just finished trying a batch with the food processor per the above posted method from Wiley....looks pretty promising...going to,let it stay overnight in the refrig and try tomorrow nite.. Thanks Wiley
Here are the links for the mixer and the capacity charts:

http://www.globeslicers.com/Editor/a...ec%20sheet.pdf

http://www.globeslicers.com/Editor/a...2009metric.pdf
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Master Builder

Wow! I am amazed at the quanities of bread you fellows are making, certainly greater quanities than I would ever have need to make. Certainly a mixer makes sense when speaking of such near commercial or commercial quanities. I am not criticising anyone for whatever choice they make in regards to a mixer or lack of same. Like I said there are times I have to use my KA and for my needs it is more than enough.

However, for the larger batches of bread that I (a relative novice) have made, I have been very pleased with the results achieved with autolyse. Here's a photo of the largest single bowl of dough I have made to date. Photo taken just before the first stretch and fold. 1.5 kg flour 1.25 kg water 3/4 teaspoon yeast and 16 gms sea salt, approx 12 hour (over night) autolyse. And a photo of the rolls this blob of dough made. Also an old photo I took of two bakers who daily baked bread for Atuona largest village in Hiva Oa. No mixer. in fact no electricity at the time this photo was taken.
http://www.freewebs.com/seawrite/Atu...le%20earth.jpg

Bests,
Wiley
Attached Thumbnails
MIXERS....I need help deciding-blob-.jpg   MIXERS....I need help deciding-two-dozen-rolls.jpg   MIXERS....I need help deciding-kimi-kato-bakers.jpg  
Old 02-15-2010, 08:15 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I reckon you should think about a 20 Qt machine - the 5 Qt may be a bit light. Neill is a good person to discuss the performance of both with as he has two at the moment of differing sizes. I believe he is selling his 9 Qt one and plans to keep the 20 Qt one.

I have a 20 Qt and it does the work effortlessly. My preference is to get a machine that has capacity to spare so it can basically idle along and not heat up the motor too much (as the KA does). Perhaps consider a second hand model - there seem to be plenty around, even some that are "pensioned off" by bakeries will still have some life in them.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Apprentice

I may be wrong, but when I was shopping the 20gt mixers I got the impression that there were two varieties, a lighter capacity and a heavier. They were priced accordingly and usually pizza dough was mentioned as needing the heavier. For my Berkel and I think most of the ones that look like a Hobart, the bowls and attachments are all a common size.

Mark
Old 02-16-2010, 06:28 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

They may indeed vary on quality, speeds and motor wattage even though they may all be 20 Qt bowl capacity. There seem to be a number of Hobart clones around including the Thunderbird that I have got: Thunderbird Food Machinery

The pizza dough definitely punishes the mixer so it definitely needs a fair amount of power and good gear ratios in order to support the mixing process.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Peasant

I am picking up one of these tomorrow morning. Have gotten excellant input from a few friends who own restaurants regarding the quality and application of the mixer..I wil post results.
http://www.globeslicers.com/Editor/a...ec%20sheet.pdf
Old 02-19-2010, 03:58 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred View Post
... What I am trying to do is help myself get throught the times when I have a party and make about 20 to 30 pies. I am looking for something to help me prepare for those days.... 260 gram pies. People come from all around...
The brand you are looking at seems good though I would question the need for 10 speeds for dough making.

Based on your intial statement on the intended application of the mixer you will definitely be under purchasing if you buy a 5 Qt model. That is around the same size as the small KA product - which I have, but outgrew as soon as I started catering for groups bigger than 4 people.

As mentioned, I have a 20 Qt machine and today for example I am catering for a group of 11 people with the recipe below, which I will do in one batch:

Ingredients - Weight (g) - Percentage
Flour - 1878.3 - 100.0%
Water - 1314.8 - 70.0%
Yeast - 8.3 - 0.4%
Salt - 38.7 - 2.1%

Dough weight required (g) = 3240

Bearing in mind that this is 1/2 or 1/3 of the size of your guest list you really need to decide if you want to be making 5 batches of dough per party, or just one.

Last edited by heliman; 02-19-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:09 PM
Peasant

Heliman

thanks for discussing...here is how I got at that discission...the mixer can handle 2300grm batch at 60%AR. It has a 800 watt motor...I have been using 260 grm balls so thats about 8.8 balls per batch...so the mixer should handle 2340grms which is 9 balls. So three batches gets me 27 pies.....please check my logic..

The next reason is the size. This mixer can fit on the countertop and weights about 35#. The 10 qt is 135 # and the 20 qtr is even more. I dont have to mention cost either do I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you think?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

The additional power is useful (I think machines like the larger KA have a 600 W motor).

Just did a quick calc to see what your ingredients list would look like approximately:

Flour 1333.3 100.0%
Water 933.3 70.0%
Yeast 5.9 0.4%
Salt 27.5 2.1%

This will provide 2300 grams of dough which the 5 Qt should handle OK.

Getting back to the "batch" matter - you will still be doing 3 x the mixing work required which I personally don't like. It may be a novelty in the beginning but could become a hassle - which has obviously happened with your current activities now that you are stepping up to the next level of preparation.

In relation to the "bench" storage of the unit - I store mine in the garage all covered up ready for the next use. I believe a mixer, even the "colourful" KA domestic model, looks unsightly if just left out permanently - and the model you are looking at is no exception. After all, it is a semi-commercial item so won't offer any cosmetic enhancements to your kitchen.

The weight is a non-issue as well as I don't intend to move it about at all. My 20 Qt takes two people to move it safely so it has got a spot and stays there permanently.

So, if I was in your position I would forget the "light" equipment and get a second hand or cheaper 20 Qt (minimum 10 Qt). Your efforts in making the second and third batches could put to better use drinking your favourite beverage, talking to your friends - or just admiring your WFO!

I have been hoping (Nissan)Neill would be chiming into this conversation as he is has both a 10 and a 20 Qt mixer so would be able to add some good input on larger models.

Last edited by heliman; 02-19-2010 at 07:38 PM.