Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Leoparding - The Discussion Continues...

I make a 65% hydration dough around 2.5hours before cooking. 30mins to prep/knead.. 1.5 hours to rise, ball and rise for 30..

I get leaparing all over the base.. so not sure what im doing right?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidding View Post
I make a 65% hydration dough around 2.5hours before cooking. 30mins to prep/knead.. 1.5 hours to rise, ball and rise for 30..

I get leaparing all over the base.. so not sure what im doing right?
As I said before, high yeast activity short ferments promote leoparding, and 2.5 hours is a ridiculously short ferment (for Neapolitan), with the punch down promoting residual sugar consumption even further.

Elevated hydration will also promote leoparding, but it's something that you probably want to avoid because, with Neapolitan bake times, wet doughs will give you gum lines.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks for the excellent feedback on this interesting topic. The Tscarb and Scott theories certainly add new light on the topic. So, tonight I will bake the 48 hr fermented dough and will move on to making a batch of 3 kgs for Saturday night's bash. I will make another quick biga and then prepare a quick ferment and compare the results.

Using Da Michele as the benchmark - their process involves the use of a biga and an overnight fermentation and they get really good leoparding. Quite a few variables in this so I am keen to test the relevant theories and determine the best outcome under my specific WFO conditions.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:43 AM
Laborer

Heliman, not to split hairs, but it is my understanding that Da Michele uses an old dough method, with an overnight bulk ferment. In this video (I had someone translate it for me),

Antica Pizzeria Da Michele - YouTube

the co-owner talks about the old dough method they use.

Also, just to be clear, although I think short ferments will favor leoparding, in no way am I advocating them. Malted American flours won't sit that heavy in your stomach with quick ferments, but unmalted quickly fermented European doughs will go down like a lead weight. Digestibility is an important component of Neapolitan pizza.

What's your current bake time? As long as you're breaking 60 seconds, bottom and top, you should be getting plenty of leoparding.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

This video is a great find. Really good insight into their process.

Well I cooked two pizzas this evening. Results were good but the temp was only up around the 380 C mark so didn't get much leoparding. I am wondering if my using a biga with a miniscule amount of IDY will affect the sugar content.

I will do a sample tomorrow - make a single pizza with lots of yeast and let it sit a few hours and see if leoparding occurs. Will get the oven to around the 400C mark to test.

These are the pics from today.
Attached Thumbnails
Leoparding - The Discussion Continues...-pizza_3.jpg   Leoparding - The Discussion Continues...-pizza_1.jpg   Leoparding - The Discussion Continues...-photo_2.jpg  

Last edited by heliman; 11-04-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM
Laborer

Rossco, those are very respectable NY style pies. As you move into more Neapolitan-ish hearth temps, the undercrust will leopard nicely, but to get the desired leoparding on the rim, you need a very active fire going on the side of your oven. Are you exceeding 540 C on your dome? How close are you baking to the coals? How high is the ceiling?

One thing to be aware of is that, as you ramp up the heat and decrease the bake time, if you maintain your current thickness factor, you'll end up with more than just a gum line, but actual raw dough in the center of the rim. What's your current dough ball weight and diameter?

Last edited by scott123; 11-04-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I have normally been baking around the 480 c mark which doesnt develop leoparding. Dome is generally about 100 c more than the base. I cook about 20 cm from the fire. Not sure of dome height ... Will have to measure when the fire goes out.

Dough balls are 270-280 grams and end up about 32cm in size.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:10 PM
Laborer

There's different camps when it comes to leoparding/browning impact from lower dome heights. It would be nice if you could measure the dome height, but I think the ferocity of the fire will make or break the precious pox. Are you maintaining a strong, ceiling licking flame and bright red embers?

Lastly, could you post your recipe?

I know I've been hitting you with a lot of questions, but I think we're close to getting to the bottom of the mystery.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Recipe is: 66% water, 40% biga, 2.8% salt. Cold ferment after 1 hr on bench, then back on bench for around 4 hrs.

Back to the Da Michele video - what did they sprinkle on the prepared pizza before the olive oil? Parmezan?
Old 11-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

OK - made a "quick" batch of dough (290 grams). Slightly higher hydration and lots of IDY. Will bench proof it for 2.5 hrs and pop it into the oven to see the results.