Old 08-18-2007, 06:00 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Leftover Pizza Dough as Preferment?

ok....I'll behave now

Its interesting though with the recent posts around yeast for breads etc.
In cheese making - rennet (used to coagulate the milk) was sourced from the gut of a young calf or goat...another trick is to get a fig branch and use some of the contents of that to do the same thing.

anyway as far as the topic.....rberg02 I have to agree on the dough - I always leave it for a day in the fridge

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:32 AM
Apprentice

I have been studying up on the whole preferment thing for a few years and it seems to me that you use just the preferment and the yeasties grow just fine and fast enough to do the job. I use a slow rise technique almost exclusively anymore and I love the flavor it imparts to the final product. The first time i started with just a packet of dry yeast, but it is becoming the Bellingham sourdough as we go along. It is changing and I like where it is going. Peter Reinhardt in his books always seems to recommend a slow rise to develop flavor. After the initial rise you simply steal a bit away to use as a preferment for your next batch. If you want to discourage the son in law from eating it, simply add more water and make it more of a poolish sponge. The flavors will still develop, it will be just more liquidy...
Peace
Chad
Old 08-22-2007, 03:07 PM
Peasant

Today I made Kaiser rolls using a recipe which was a combination of the recipes of Peter Reinholt and Bernard Clayton. I added an 8 oz. pizza boule made the day before to the dough and I used the shaping and proofing techniques from Canuck Jim's Kaiser video. Now those Tuscan Venison Burgers will have a bun fit for the task! Thanks for all the feedback.
Ron

Last edited by rberg02; 08-23-2007 at 05:07 AM.