Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/kitchen-aid-1-kg-flour-8156.html)

heliman 10-08-2009 08:37 AM

Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

Just wondering if it would be possible to mix 1 kg of flour/600 ml water in a standard Kitchen Aid mixer? I have only made 500 gr flour at a time in the past but would like to up this to 1 kg for the next batch of dough if possible...

TIA

Rossco

papavino 10-08-2009 08:45 AM

Re: Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

I know it can handle 750 g of flour. We have the smaller of the two KA mixers, but it looked like it still had some room for added capacity. It did rock a bit as the dough moved around the bowl, though.

Ken524 10-08-2009 07:44 PM

I did 1kg with my KA Pro 600 with no problems.

heliman 10-08-2009 09:02 PM

Thanks - think I will give it a go this weekend...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken524 (Post 67076)
I did 1kg with my KA Pro 600 with no problems.

thebadger 10-11-2009 05:25 AM

I agree with Ken. I have the standard Kitchen Aid Mixer. All I do is 1kg as I'm usually making a min of 6 dough balls. It will work it's way to the top of the dough hook but has never been a problem.

Good luck
Dick

heliman 10-11-2009 07:18 AM

Thanks for confirming that Dick, Ken & papa...

My KA is sounding a big grumpy of late, making some very weird noises. Hopefully it doesn't drop dead after the 1 Kg exercise!!! Will be great to be able to make 1 Kg though as it's such a hassle making 2 batches every time.

Rossco

nissanneill 10-11-2009 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rossco,
get your self a decent mixer, one that will handle the load of dough mixing. With an oven ready and rearing to go, mixing dough is always going to be an issue, and with larger numbers of participants at the parties, larger or more batches will be required.
Why break a basic household domestic mixer that id not really designed to work 'hard', yes it will just do the job but not continuously or for long.
For around the same cost a new KM, you can get a good secondhand industrial mixer or a new Chinese one as I have.
I mixed 3kg of dough yesterday and it was just a small ball in the bottom of the large bowl that will mix 10kg (the smallest one that I could find).
Gee it takes the worry out of knocking the wife's Kenwood around and makes mixing dough that much simpler.
The only thing that I would do if I bought another one, is get the 3 speed model rather than my 2 speed unit.

Neill

Archena 10-11-2009 05:32 PM

Other boys drool over cars; our guys drool over mixers... :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for one of you guys to have racing stripes painted on.

FYI: Listen to your motor. Straining is bad.

jmhepworth 10-11-2009 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archena (Post 67393)
Other boys drool over cars; our guys drool over mixers... :rolleyes:

That's really funny. My wife has a Bosch that she mixes her bread in. I have the KA Professional.

Joe

heliman 10-12-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nissanneill (Post 67387)
Rossco,
get your self a decent mixer...

Wow Neill - that one of yours looks fantastic.

Can you please let me know the brand etc so I can chase it up here. May keep the KA as a general purpose mixer as it still seems to do quite well for lighter stuff like cakes etc (not that I make them though).

Rossco