Old 12-12-2009, 12:12 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

Jamie
I appreciate being on a budget and in a way we all are, just differing values I guess.
However, when you come across a bargain as I did last week and bought a 15-20 year old Hobart dough mixer for $50 needing a little electrical rewiring, some welding, some rubbing down and a coat of paint, (all up around a day or so's work), I grab it. Now I need to decide which one to keep, my new 2 speed or the 3 speed Hobart. I will sell the second unit.
I would guess that if you were in a similar position, you wouldn't hesitate as they don't come along very often.
The other one that I posted earlier for $100, is an older and rougher unit but the seller claims that it will mix 'blue tack' all day long!
Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by nissanneill; 12-12-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Apprentice

Default Re: Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

Quote:
Originally Posted by nissanneill View Post
Jamie
However, when you come across a bargain as I did last week ...

Neill
Aye, there's the rub. I don't know if it's the same down there, but here in northern California, anyway, craigslist is almost as played out as ebay. People list things that are beat to hell as "vintage" for almost as much as they cost new. Occasionally there are restaurants going out of business or which are renovating their kitchens which just need to get the old goods moved out, but even in these tough economic times those are few and far between, and they are usually snapped up instantly by the professional appliance refurbishers. I could go through one of them, but then I'm paying someone else for the parts and labor and not saving much over a new appliance in the end. Occasionally one which is so far gone that even the dealers won't take it; those are the ones that list for $50-100.

I've gone through this a few times recently looking for other appliances and household goods... washer & dryer, fridge, chainsaw, bicycles; I agree that often it is indeed best to get the fixer-upper, when the parts and labor required to get things up and running are reasonable, and with a little "sweat equity" you can get a great thing for a great price. But we figured that, given all the particulars in this case, it was not only easier, but also more cost-appropriate to just buy the KA 600 when it went on deep discount. Once we turn our baking and our pizza-making into a more regular and larger scale operation, we may change. But until then, this is a great kitchen appliance and an adequate dough mixer for our level of use.

Or, to put it another way: to each his own.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour-06-07_ford_ranger.jpg   Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour-broadmoortruckmay06side.jpg  

Last edited by cynon767; 12-12-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

A quick question on the use of a heavy duty mixer like a TBird/Hobart 20 QT mixer...

Do you just use it in the same way as a smaller mixer - particularly the length of time for kneading?

Are there any special techniques or methods that one needs to bear in mind/apply when using a large mixer?

My dough hook should arrive in the next day or so and I want to make a large batch of Xmas pizza dough. Just want to make sure I am well prepared!!!

Rossco
Old 12-22-2009, 04:37 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Kitchen Aid - 1 kg flour

Hi Rossco,
I don't treat a commercial mixer any different, after all they are designed and manufactured specifically for the tasks that you are using it for.
I weigh out all the ingredients, warm the water and activate the yeast including the salt (which may or may not affect the fermentation of the yeast), turn on the mixer on the low speed and add the liquid. I beat it until it is at the right consistency and possessing the long stretchy characteristic. Some of the other members might do it differently but I have still a lot to learn but my doughs turn out fine.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway