Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   keeping the dough :( (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/keeping-dough-19801.html)

nzGilby 08-16-2013 08:32 PM

keeping the dough :(

Hi everyone.. very new here :-),

I am getting WFO soon and trying to practice making Dough and come out with few questions...

Lets say I am hosting a whole day house warming party and I am going to Server WFO - Crispy Pizza... friends will come visit in different time ...afternoon..mid noon.. night time... I have been studying WFO thru forums and fornobravo.com about keeping the fire ...

now my question is..... I am going to use Peter Reinhart's Napoletana Pizza Dough recipe thru out the day, This recipe will Serve about 7-8 People
4 1/2 cups unbleached high-gluten bread flour or 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour,
1 3/4 teaspoons salt (.44 ounce)
1 teaspoon instant yeast (.11 ounce)
1 3/4 cups water, ice cold (14 ounces, 40 F)

* Correct me if i am wrong :p

The Night before the party started i am going to make 4 batches/ of the recipe and put it in the fridge and and 2 hours before the party should i take them all out and serve it thru out the day or keep 2 batches in the fridge?

.... another question is if the first batch i took out and i only served 4 people i still got some left.. should i put it on a bowl and cover with wrap and leave it on the bench(under a roof)? or put it back to fridge? At the moment i am at Malaysia - Temperature average is 30 ~ 32 degrees

Another thing that i am worry is... if i finish run out all the dough before 6 pm and i still got a group of friend coming in.. what is the best/quickest way to make a dough and serve pizza( possible)?

Thanks for reading and please help me pro pizza maker ;(

austinmc 08-22-2013 07:26 AM

Re: keeping the dough :(

Good day.......have a dough recipe that will take only about 2-2 1/2 hrs to use....works in a pinch.....

2 cups flour
2 1/4 teaspoons of quick yeast
1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup of hot(not boiling) water
3 tablespoons of olive oil
mix
let rise in covered bowl
once it has risen , cut in half, flour, rest on a board
after 5 minutes, flour and hand stretch into pizza shape and dress on floured peel

hope this works for you....this will get you two extra pizzas( can always double for more).....cheers

Tscarborough 08-22-2013 07:33 AM

You can leave the balls in the fridge until you need them. They open up just fine cold. Make the dough in bulk and let it double at room temp, then ball it and into the fridge until needed.

mrchipster 08-22-2013 08:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Make extra dough ahead of your party if you have the refrigeration space or just keep it in a cooler on ice, it will make great bread the next day if you have leftovers just form it into batards and toss them into the oven at about 450F and you will be glad you had plenty of good cold fermented dough for your pizza and some fine bread the next day if you have leftover dough.

Photo is bread made from leftover dough

BTW: You will not know you need last minute dough until the last minute and then it will be to late.

tusr18a 08-22-2013 01:58 PM

While you can push out a dough ball right from the refrigerator, it tends to be harder to do. As it appears that you are newer to the art, you may want to consider allowing the dough balls to warm up for an hour or so before you push them out. I would strongly suggest that you give this process a dry run before the big party. The experience that you gain from the dry run will definitely make for a less stressful party day.

nzGilby 08-24-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinmc (Post 160092)
Good day.......have a dough recipe that will take only about 2-2 1/2 hrs to use....works in a pinch.....

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
mix
let rise in covered bowl
after 5 minutes, flour and hand stretch into pizza shape and dress on floured peel

hope this works for you....this will get you two extra pizzas( can always double for more).....cheers

Very Helpful thanks :) will try it first

nzGilby 08-24-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tscarborough (Post 160093)
You can leave the balls in the fridge until you need them. They open up just fine cold. Make the dough in bulk and let it double at room temp, then ball it and into the fridge until needed.

Thanks for the info !.. when i bring it out from the fridge do i need to knead them again... or just take it out from the fridge and start rolling on a pan to be cooked

nzGilby 08-24-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austinmc (Post 160092)

2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
mix
let rise in covered bowl

cheers cheers will try that !!!!

nzGilby 08-24-2013 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrchipster (Post 160099)
Make extra dough ahead of your party if you have the refrigeration space or just keep it in a cooler on ice, it will make great bread the next day if you have leftovers just form it into batards and toss them into the oven at about 450F and you will be glad you had plenty of good cold fermented dough for your pizza and some fine bread the next day if you have leftover dough.

Photo is bread made from leftover dough

BTW: You will not know you need last minute dough until the last minute and then it will be to late.

Do you chuck the bread inside the oven overnight ? it looks lovely

nzGilby 08-24-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tusr18a (Post 160124)
While you can push out a dough ball right from the refrigerator, it tends to be harder to do. As it appears that you are newer to the art, you may want to consider allowing the dough balls to warm up for an hour or so before you push them out. I would strongly suggest that you give this process a dry run before the big party. The experience that you gain from the dry run will definitely make for a less stressful party day.

Roger. Thanks