Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: keeping the dough :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzGilby View Post
Do you chuck the bread inside the oven overnight ? it looks lovely
Just take it out of the cooler the next morning, shape it, let it rise and cook normaly
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM
Serf

Hi Everyone again....

Few questions trying the dough .. I am waiting for my WFO to arrive ..at the mean time i bought an electric small oven... which has 250 degrees max and enough to fit my pizza stone in it...

I have use 2 different recipe for my dough... 1 is just plain flour 1 is peter h dough... I put both set in the fridge overnight.... and my question is.. do i need to cover it with plastic wrap or just let it sit in the fridge? ( well i didnt cover it and tried it next day )...

Anyway when i took it out from the frige... there is a medium hard layer on top of the dough is this normal? So I punch it down and start kneading for 3 minutes and then i start rolling it and put it on my pizza stone and then into the oven... for 13 mins

it turns out ok and enjoy eating it... my family love it.. but they said its crispy... but once they got into second slices .. my brother and i felt the same way..our teeth feel tired because of the crispy or over cook? what did i do wrong here? over cook or the dough?

Thanks for your help
Old 08-29-2013, 05:06 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

It needs to be covered. It dries out and gets too crusty as you found.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Serf

Sweet as , will try another set . I divide it 100 gram ball each when I roll it with a rolling pin the dough keep stretch it back ! It's there any good tutorial to roll a dough thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 07:39 AM
Laborer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzGilby View Post
Sweet as , will try another set . I divide it 100 gram ball each when I roll it with a rolling pin the dough keep stretch it back ! It's there any good tutorial to roll a dough thanks
How To Hand Slap Pizza Crust - YouTube

There are loads of ways to do it, but the main thing is use your hands. A rolling pin pushes all the air out and makes for a denser harder result.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Master Builder

Post Re: keeping the dough :(

JMS

Thanks for the video. Makes a lot more sense now. Been using the pin.

Tex

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can use a rolling pin, but there is a method to that as well. When rolling never "pinch" the edge of the dough. Roll from the middle out, but never quite reach the edge, rotating the dough as you go. A straight edge drinking glass actually works better since the length is about right.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:58 PM
Serf

It's about 35C outdoors where I live too and I found that the dough balls do best if you leave them out of the refrigerator at least 30 minutes and not much more than an hour. (That is, make the dough and let it rise, then form it into balls and store them in the fridge.) When I've left them out an hour and a half or 2 hours, they get a little too soft to work properly and tend to stick to the peel more. I take the dough balls out a few at a time when I'm going to be cooking over a period of time. You're not supposed to re-knead the balls but I'm a newbie so one of the veterans could respond better on that point.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

You can also leave the dough balls in the fridge until you use them. If all else is good, they will stretch out just as easily, or more easily than room temp ones.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Serf

Tried an experiment tonight - used some dough balls that had over-proofed in the fridge (about a week I think). I took them out, removed and discarded any hard crust (a few had gotten a little hard on top), kneaded the dough, made them into balls again, and left them out for a few minutes. They seemed soft so I put them back in the fridge. Worked great! Dough had a lot of flavor and edges puffed up well in the oven.

Maybe my dough is different or my technique isn't as good, but my fresh dough doesn't stretch out as well straight from the fridge. This old dough did, though.

Not all of my experiments work, in my opinion, but my tasters claim they haven't had a bad pizza yet!

Tags
dough making