Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Interesting Dough Experiment

Hi Rossco/Splatg!

You tend to ask questions that no one can answer without a lot more information, Rossco, such as "What is the difference between the starter you developed from the dough and the one you started with pineapple juice?" At this point, without a detailed microbiological study, not one can answer that with any confidence.

Your responses were good, Splatgirl which is why I didn't comment - though being traveling and therefore out of sequence contributed as well.

Let's get back to basics Rossco. There are many things going on in dough - most notably enzymes breaking down starch to sugar, yeast converting sugar to alcohol, and bacteria breaking down sugar and metabolic products from the yeast and making a range of chemicals and acids.

IF your dough based starter was based on commercial yeast, there will be a diversity of bacteria in the flour which will create all sorts of products that may or may not taste good and may or may not be particularly good for you. And, as it is the acid from bacteria that keep a sourdough "pure" (i.e. rid of bad bacteria) the lower acid dough will be vulnerable to contamination.

Over time the lactobaccili will tend to take over and the acidity of the starter will rise. IF it was based on commercial yeast the yeast will lose vitality and the starter will lose "power" (i.e. the ability to leaven the bread/make it rise). At that point some other wild yeast will tend to take over - and given you should have wild yeast spores from your sourdough in relatively high numbers you will probably end up with the same starter - but the past will be different.

Recent research indicates the wild yeast populations in well-cared for sourdoughs tend to be relatively stable and able to resist entry by other yeasts. However, the bacteria populations tend to go become infiltrated by local bacteria. I.e. a San Francisco sourdough starter with near 100% Lactobaccilis sanfranciscus will experience the development of a complex bacterial population over time when NOT in San Francisco. (I am well aware of the debates over this and do not wish to start another debate and I don't say it can't remain distinct but rather that it has a tendency to lose distinction and shift to a new profile - especially if it is not well maintained).

WRT yellow, sourdough starters do tend to lose their brilliant white as they age. I haven't done the experiment but I suspect flour mixed with water and held for a week will change color too as the starches break down.

Hope this is useful!
Jay
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM
Journeyman

YAY! Photos?

Re yellow color...my guess is that this is a function of the type of flour used. Semolina flour comes immediately to mind. Those that I have seen and worked with are always more the color of corn flour than wheat flour.
I have not experienced any appreciable change in color with starters or doughs with age other than noticing that if my starter hasn't been fed for a while and has a layer of hooch on the top, stirring that in sometimes makes it very slightly grey. I have always assumed this is just due to oxidation.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Sorry ... things have got a bit hectic here. I leave for Africa today and thought that I was only flying out tomorrow. Lucky I checked the ticket!!

Didn't manage to test the dough out fully as planned but now I want to put the starter to sleep for 10 days while I am away. Any suggestions on that one??

PS - apologies if I ask "stupid" questions, and thanks for your patience in responding. So much to learn and often this can be confusing.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Journeyman

I've done that...totally messed up a travel date. in my case I didn't realize it until after the fact.

just put it in the fridge. Might need to refresh it a couple of times to get it going nice and strong again, but it'll be fine.

cheers
Old 03-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ha - it can happen so easily can't it...

I have packed a pizza stone in my luggage and will be making some pizzas for my dad when I get there as there are no decent pizzas to be had. Have also made a copy of the Reinhart ciabatta recipe to take along so I will get some practice.

I won't be taking any flour along as airport officials may mistake it for some other similar looking white stuff. They have got some really good flour there so it will be interesting to see how it all turns out...

I'm taking the iPhone along so I will be able to post on the adventure.

Just running out the door now to get some travellers cheques....
Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Good luck, Rossco!

Bake On!
Jay
Old 03-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Jay... Arrived here a few hours ago and i've already been shopping for flour. Obsession ... What obsession??
Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
Journeyman

Hi Rossco,
great experiment!

I must admit I've never had much luck with sourdough.

bread or otherwise!