Old 06-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Serf

Default Re: How do I maintain dough ball integrity?

Hi Elizabeth and Jay,

Thanks so much for the input. I'm definitely going to try the flour in a pan method. I know I've read in one of Peter Reinhart's book that recipes have to be adjusted when using IDY vs. ADY. Besides not having to proof, are there other advantages to using IDY? I just bought a 16 oz package of ADY and it's in the mail!

Also, here's the guy in the video's technique for making his dough:

my latest video

He uses a sourdough starter in addition to a very small amount of IDY (0.08%), but his hydration is only at 60%. Based on Splatgirl and Jay's previous advice, I'm sticking with yeast for the time being. Also, I thought his hydration was higher than mine, but it's actually lower.

He also doesn't form his balls until after the dough sits in the refrigerator over night. I've been doing the opposite...

So, there's several things that I'm going to try the next time around. The first is reduce my ADY to 2%, form the balls after the overnight in the frig, and use the flour in the pan technique prior to stretching.

I'm hopeful this will get me closer.

Thanks so much!
Sue
Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Sue!

IDY is mainly finer than ADY and has more active yeast (fewer dead cells). There is no big diff except convenience. 2% IDY or ADY is about right for most purposes. 1% will work also. Technically needs a bit more proofing time but pizza is much more forgiving than bread on proofing so no big deal.

Balling before or after retarding is IMO a function of the dough. I ball AP dough (no oil) after retarding. The dough is so relaxed and the memory is so low late forming is no problem. Bread flour (with or without oil), and Caputo doughs (no oil) do not in my experience behave well when balled late (after retarding). In my experience they will still be stiff two hours later when you want to form and they don't shape well. So... I ball them before retarding.

Let me suggest one change in plan for your next event. Divide the dough in half and make two or three balls before retarding and bulk retard the rest and ball after the retard. Then you will have a one variable experiment where the only difference is balling point and that will serve to provide meaningful experience and insight.

Please let us know what you decide!

WRT sourdough, it is mainly adding flavor as an additive though it will make the dough effectively a bit wetter for its hydration. Commercial yeast is much more active at refrigerator temps and will outperform the sourdough (yes the wild yeast will contribute but...) The bacteria in the SD will also multiply somewhat and boost flavor beyond just being an additive but...

Good luck! Look forward to hearing your opinion after the experiment!
Jay

Last edited by texassourdough; 06-10-2010 at 09:16 AM. Reason: add comment on percent yeast
Old 06-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Apprentice

How heavy are those balls he's making do you think? That pizza he made was huge..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:15 PM
Apprentice

i think I found it. 320g

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Shay!

Good question. I think the dough was well inflated more than that the ball was larger and that he spread it pretty thin. Still, I would guess he was around 300 to 350 grams. I thought Andre's pie was excessively deflated. He really beat on it and it was awfully flat laying on the counter. Almost looked like it had been rolled out with a rolling pin. Great roundness but not much character. I like more rustic looking pies and shapes.

Bake On!
Jay

Postscript: Nothing like being a second late replying to make one look "brilliant"! Duh!
Jay

Last edited by texassourdough; 06-10-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: add postscript
Old 06-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Laborer

Your pizzas look like they taste really good. I will grant you that they are odd shaped but I bet they were delicious.

Member WFOAMBA
Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 PM
Apprentice

heheh, it happens.