Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   How Big Can You Go (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/how-big-can-you-go-4161.html)

james 05-27-2008 11:04 PM

How Big Can You Go

Here's a question. We made pizza this weekend for a neighborhood party, and I made 18 270 gr dough balls. They were all pretty much the same weight (I used a scale) and the dough was the same, as I blended three 1kg batches together.

One thing that was interesting was the huge variation is pizza size that different people made from the same basic dough ball.

I feel a competition coming how. How large of a pizza (inches in diameter) can you make with a 270 gr dough ball? Holes not allowed. The huge pizza on the cover of the FB Wood-Fired Pizza eBook is from Pellone in Naples, and they said the dough ball was 280 gr. That's one great pizza from 280 gr.

James

BrianShaw 05-28-2008 07:25 AM

Re: How Big Can You Go

Does it have to be round?

james 05-28-2008 09:01 AM

I made a football.

Any takers on this one. I think it can be instructive trying to get that big, thin pizza.

James

BrianShaw 05-28-2008 10:20 AM

I'm game... but my input will have to wait until next pizza session. I neither scale my dough or measure my (generally speaking) round pies. Most often, though, I make them 12.17 to 13.24 inches in diameter. I generally try for about 113 square inches. Any bigger and the crust is too thin for my liking.

andreguidon 05-28-2008 10:43 AM

pizzas here in brazil are 8 piece 32cm....

james 05-28-2008 12:33 PM

Ah, but how large is the dough ball? There are two sides to this equation -- you have to maximize your pizza size using a consistent (I think 270 gr is a good size) dough size. :-)

James

asudavew 05-28-2008 04:06 PM

Ohhhh!!

I can't wait till this weekend.

here's a pizza from a 1600 gram dough ball! click on the top pic all the way on the right

Picasa Web Albums - Dwats - Dough Techniques

does the biggest pie when a prize>? :D

sarah h 05-28-2008 06:20 PM

I think that video of you flinging the dough wins a prize! Cool!!
It also shows me my dough's been way too sticky and I have a lot more to learn about making pizzas.
Thanks for that - it's a big help to see it in motion.

BrianShaw 05-28-2008 06:56 PM

OK, I'm out... someone else will have to win the prize. Inspired by James' question/challenge, made pizza for dinner. For the first time in my life scaled the dough - what a surprise to find my dough balls were about 300 grams. From that the pies were about 28 cm. I could have made bigger but then wouldn't have wanted to eat them.

Ed_ 05-29-2008 07:56 AM

When you first posted this, I wondered why you didn't just give Dave the prize outright for that video. That's a big hunk of dough. Of course, I guess you actually have to make a pizza out of it...and that was probably a little big for your oven door, eh? :D