Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

View Poll Results: What do you use to keep your pizzas from sticking to the peel
Flour 46 38.02%
Cornmeal 36 29.75%
Semolina flour 17 14.05%
Rice flour 19 15.70%
Something else 3 2.48%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2007, 08:35 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Flour or Cornmeal

I agree, cornmeal does seem to work better. I just don't like the grittyness on my pizza, so I usually use flour. As for taste, no preference.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:50 PM
Serf

When I started making pizza I (admit that I) used too much cornmeal a few times. My fire alarm in the house would sound off. Then after backing down it got better. I seem to get a certain smokey smell though when I used cornmeal in a 550+ degree oven. Maybe a reminder of the early days?

The Semolina four seems to give me the same "ball bearing action" as the cornmeal, without the smokey smell. I'll dust with Caputo flour and Semolina, but put the Semolina on my wooden peel. It works for me.
This is only from my own experience, and I wanted to share it with you.
The bottom line is that if it works for you and your oven then it's good.
John
Old 06-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Master Builder

my current option = pizza trays

Ahhh hey I'm a noobie at this, so this ones more for the beginners. I use locally sourced pizza trays (they are almost flat, slight lip, the shops use them). I tried the flour method but lost the toppings a few times when flicking the peel - so rather than embarrasing myself this works for now.

Basically I assemble pizza on tray (no flour underneath, just a dry - clean tray), then slide tray onto oven floor to cook. Around 30seconds the dough releases itself from the tray enough for me to grab pizza tray (with tongs) and the pizza slides nicely onto the dome floor to keep cooking. Once cooked I then extract the pizza with my peel.

The positives
-I can make a few pizzas up ahead of time
-No more toppings shooting off if base sticks
-Plus you can use the edges to pinch the dough to...if needed

And to "cheat" further (if the top does cook to quickly)....I hold the peel over the top (to act as a shield) to let the underside finish off cooking.......as I said "noobie"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:14 AM
Apprentice

What type of tray are you using? do you have pictures? size, source
Old 06-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

He probably means a baking sheet (also called a cookie sheet) with only one (or three) crimped edges. At least one edge is left flat so that you can just slide whatever you're baking right off. They're great for sliding off cookies and I'd imagine would work well for what Bacterium is describing.

Flour or Cornmeal-airbake-wearever-natural-12-14-inch

Source

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 06-04-2007, 05:18 PM
Master Builder

ok they are aluminium trays.

I got mine from the local Italian Shop - Mercato - Home - which BTW is a great spot. I can't get an online picture there so have a look here(this company supply equipment to the local pizza shops):
Metal Spinners - Products: Pizza Cookware

Go down the page to "Trays" and they are the aluminium ones.
I'm guessing mild steel or stainless steel would be no good as the dough would stick too much.

Sorry I haven't pics of my own but I am working on that

Archena I have seen something like a cookie sheet but not tried it...mmmm

Last edited by Bacterium; 06-04-2007 at 05:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-04-2007, 07:41 PM
Journeyman

Default Re: Imma and Mario's Mercato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacterium View Post
I got mine from the local Italian Shop - Mercato - Home - which BTW is a great spot.
Damon,

It is great, isn't it? Last Saturday I found some Italian Buffalo Mozzarella for Insalata Caprese (Italian dinner with friends that night) - delightful, and not nearly as strong or gamey as Shaw River's from Victoria. I think it's a new line, and it would also be great for pizza toppings!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Ah, okay. It just sounded so much like a sheet...

"Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal." -Mike Ditka
[/CENTER]
Old 06-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Imma and Mario's Mercato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo View Post
Damon,

It is great, isn't it? Last Saturday I found some Italian Buffalo Mozzarella for Insalata Caprese (Italian dinner with friends that night) - delightful, and not nearly as strong or gamey as Shaw River's from Victoria. I think it's a new line, and it would also be great for pizza toppings!

Cheers, Paul.
ahhh yes...such a great shop to wander about and consider recipe ideas. If any of you other Adelaide guys go Cambelltown/Newton way its worth a visit.

Old 06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archena View Post
He probably means a baking sheet (also called a cookie sheet) with only one (or three) crimped edges. At least one edge is left flat so that you can just slide whatever you're baking right off. They're great for sliding off cookies and I'd imagine would work well for what Bacterium is describing.
At the wood fired cooking class this past weekend at Ramekin's in Sanoma they used a regular sheet pan however, it was turned upside down. This way there are no edges and everything slides off without issue - as long as the pan is well floured.

J W