Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   Dough questions for the experts (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/dough-questions-experts-19592.html)

pizzafun 06-28-2013 04:02 PM

Dough questions for the experts

I use a local fresh type 00 flour, Fleischmann's Instant Dry Yeast, and water to create 67% hydration. I proofed for 2.5 hours & the dough was too elastic & easily ripped. I proofed for 1.5 hours and the dough was not elastic enough. I also noticed in both cases that the dough balls did not maintain their shape. They did spread to some degree. Is that because of the yeast or the hydration level being too high? Also, do I need to ajust anything based on the weather in Sacramento, CA? THANK YOU!!!

Laurentius 06-28-2013 04:39 PM

Re: Dough questions for the experts

How long did you knead the dough? 67% is not an exceedingly high hydration for pizza dough.

pizzafun 06-28-2013 04:45 PM

SO after I complete the mix process, I cold ferment in bulk on Thursday eve, take bulk out Sat AM, make dough balls, proof for 2 hours at room temp, place balls in frig, make pizza Sat eve with minimal kneading done at any time.

texassourdough 06-28-2013 06:20 PM

Sorry pizzafun but you provide inadequate information to give a meaningful response. You obviously haven't read extensively on dough on this site. There are plenty of threads that describe GOOD dough procedures. Your process was too short and WAY too low in water and you used a "local, fresh 00" flour which is IMO &%##($ in California.

My suggestion is simple. Buy Reinhart's book American Pie. Make his Neopolitan dough using KA AP until you can make it consistently at 70% hydration. And make his NeoNeopolitanb dough using KA BF. Why KA? Because they are consistent and you can learn from them while making great pizzas. When you understand those flours and processes you should have enough background to not have to ask questions. When you get results you don't like you will know why!
Jay

Faith In Virginia 06-28-2013 09:31 PM

Having a bad day Jay or is it just that time of month. oops, woman's reasoning :-)

Laurentius 06-29-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faith In Virginia (Post 156165)
Having a bad day Jay or is it just that time of month. oops, woman's reasoning :-)

Faith!!

Be nice...........please.

Faith In Virginia 06-29-2013 02:04 AM

I'll try

another night with no sleep...Yikes

Laurentius 06-29-2013 02:40 AM

Faith,

I really like it, it was a quick bit of wit. I was just funning you, sleep less you're doing fine. I'm looking for someone to have my back and after that, you're my number 1 candidate, are you interested????

Faith In Virginia 06-29-2013 02:53 AM

Honestly ...I'm so tired I have no idea what your asking. Sun is coming up and I wanted to bake today...starters going...oven pre heated...I'm a mess.

I'll look at this after some z's and give you an answer...LOL 435,678,560 # of sheep counted so far.

pizzafun 07-01-2013 08:12 AM

sorry everyone.
I am a beginner & I couldn't find anything an any thread doing exactly what I was doing. I did spend the time looking.
Trying to get to the holy grail a little sooner.