Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dough questions for the experts

Faith explained that very well... read the thread.

Where's Jay

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Master Builder

Ok Les,

I read the thread and was a part of it, especially the retort. But I'm dumber that dirt! I don't understand the "Elmer", reference. "Plain it tome"!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Master Builder

DDT (desired dough temperature)

Les, http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f30/elmer-19608.html (To Elmer.)
Old 07-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Master Builder

The Elmer/ Bugs started here
http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/11/m...t-19282-2.html (My sourdough attempt)
Old 07-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Journeyman

I personally would not go anywhere near 70% hydration for a Neapolitan dough. 00 flours tend to have lower absorbtion values, which means they need less water to hydrate them. Even the 67% you are currently at is outside the norm for Neapolitan pizza. When you bake a pizza in 60 seconds or less you don't have a whole lot of time to cook off the moisture, and with elevated hydration you will more then likely end up having issues with a gum layer, which is a undercooked layer under the toppings.

The issue you are having seems due to your process to me, which is why I laid out the process I did in my post. The longer time the dough has to relax after balling the easier it will be to open up. That is why balling right away followed by a long room temperature fermentation is good for beginners.

Lastly, cold fermentation is also far from the norm with Neapolitan pizza. It leads to more sugar in the dough, which best case scenario leave the pizzas with a very distinct look some call things like "smallpox" and worst case scenario leads to burning problems. Lots of people use it in neapolitan doughs when they do not have a wood fired oven and need any help they can get cooking pizza in a short time, but with a wood fired oven you don't need it.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Pizzafun,
One of your original questions mentioned you are in Sacramento. I'm in a dryer part of Los Angeles and I believe we both have issues with hydration. I find most (seriously...most) bread and pizza recipes require a few more percentages of hydration to end up with their original intention. We typically have so little moisture in the air that measuring the water exactly per the recipe yields a dryer and tougher dough for me.

Since I usually only mix by hand, I'm constantly dipping my fingers in water to fold and ball my pizza dough, thereby "upping" the hydration.

You also mentioned originally your dough was too relaxed AND tore. That seems such a unique problem, that I would guess that it might be the flour before I would start suspecting any technique or hydration.

You said you are gentle with your doughs, but I didn't get a feel if you mix by machine or hand.

Hope you've had more successes in your dough and pizza making,

-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Old 01-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzafun View Post
Thanks again...what is DDT?
Desired dough temp