Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:24 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Dough question: anyone else using a bread machine to make dough?

We tend to make our dough in 500g (flour) batches. Uising both our breadmaker and kitchen-aid style mixer. The dough hooks on the mixer seem to make a better job of kneading the dough than the bread maker (though the bread maker has a timer function).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"
Old 05-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Adam, is that your new signiature line? I love it!
Old 05-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances View Post
Hey Adam, is that your new signiature line? I love it!
Yep, a quote from a very outspoken Glaswegian friend. Also asked me if I'd considered using it as a crematorium for pets

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Why can't you just have a BBQ like normal people?"
Old 05-21-2008, 05:52 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
<SNIP>
Also, you can't control the process, such as using autolyse.
<SNIP>
James
Hi,
the word autolyse caught my eye - yesterday I made pizzas after Pizza Dough II in Peter Reinhart's 'Crust & Crumb' but the dough was exceedingly firm even after "resting" it for an hour in the refrigerator as per recipe.

So after we polished off the pizzas (brought back in the rain which did aught to soften the cracker crust!), I investigated 'proper' pizza doughs in the FB manual.

There was that word again: autolyse! (Incidentally, it does NOT come from the French word for rest, its from the Greek words for 'self' + 'dissolve'; so you might consider the following excerpt when next editing the e-book):

"Autolyse
Le terme autolyse désigne l'autodestruction (le suffixe -lyse fait référence à la dissolution). Le terme est utilisé en médecine pour désigner le suicide, et en biologie pour désigner l'autodestruction de cellules.
Pour la suite, voir Wikipédia.org..."

Interestingly, my wife 'discovered' autolyse on her own back in the 1970s when making sourdough bread in Sydney after a recipe from a German friend - but Bianca made the dough very wet, let it ferment overnight, put it into bread pans the next day and allowed to rise again, then baked it in a very hot oven (220C) for 60-65 minutes. Totally delish! Same procedure yields excellent breads for her today, whereas I still struggle with the experts' master formulas :-)

Cheers,

LMH
Old 05-21-2008, 09:33 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I thought autolysis was latin. My bad I guess. Anyway, you're correct on the meaning. It happens to dead cells all the time in your body. The enzymes inside basically break down the cells and surrounding tissues.

-