Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Dough question: anyone else using a bread machine to make dough?

So, what are you guys Down Under drinking for beer?? Any local favorites I should be looking for in the import section?

Do Aussie's really drink Foster's or do you ship all that stuff to us Americans?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Updated!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:19 PM
Journeyman

Hey teach................you got gills or something? When is this happening and what about the oven meals?

Old 03-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken524 View Post
So, what are you guys Down Under drinking for beer?? Any local favorites I should be looking for in the import section?

Do Aussie's really drink Foster's or do you ship all that stuff to us Americans?
Hi Ken,

keep an eye peeled for Coopers Sparkling Ale or Stout - that's the beer we drank for many years before I started brewing my own (from Coopers brewing mixes in 1.8 kg cans)!

Now I hardly ever buy beer - I just walk into my wine cellar in the shed and grab a "Canadian Blonde" or such. Heaps better than the bought stuff (and I get really offended when my son-in-law Isaac walks in with a 750 mL bottle of the bought Coopers instead of partaking in my Canadian Blonde, him being Canadian and all!)

Cheers,

LMH
Old 03-24-2008, 04:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yeah Ken,
We wouldn't drink Fosters in a fit, even though I've got shares in the company. Try Cascade or James Boag (both Tasmanian beers)- That's an island to the south of Australian Continent where people are still living in the 19th C
Old 03-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by david sewell View Post
That's an island to the south of Australian Continent where people are still living in the 19th C
In that case they will think the Brits still haven't arrived in Oz.................

Old 03-24-2008, 05:11 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks guys! Time to go hit the import isle!

Yeah, I know where Tasmania is. I used to flight instruct with a guy from Tasmania. He flew for Qantas for a bit. Quick funny story:

One day, a young 20 year old gal from the local university came in for her flying lesson. She heard our Tasmanian friend's accent and commented on how "really cool" it was.

"Where are you from?" She asked.

David replied "Tasmania, near Australia".

The girl was starstruck; "Could you say something in Australian?"

Without missing a beat, David replied in the funniest bunch of made-up gibberish we had ever heard. The girl was AMAZED. The rest of us were doubled over laughing for the rest of the afternoon.

I'm not sure if we ever told her English was his native tongue.

Updated!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Journeyman

Inish,
More like water on the brain. No hurry to move. Sometime in the next two years. This oven was just a practice run, no sweat.

Ken, agree that Tassie beers are the go.
If you enjoy a stout, Sheaf is mother's milk, and Carbine works well on a cold day also.
(Watch them Tasweigans Ken:mad as cut snakes. Hahahaha).
How did your mate go in a plane? Flat-earth navigation posed no problems?
Old 03-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJ View Post
Kitchen Aide is faster? How long do you have to run it to mix/knead everything? I'm curious to learn more. Interesting that you say the quality is better too...
Three to five minutes, if dough is given a 15 minute rest after the initial mix of water and dry ingredients. Five to eight otherwise. This is about half the time required with my old Sunbeam Mix-master. I think it's quality is better too!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 AM
Brick Oven Merchant

I think there is an upside and a downside to bread machines. On the upside, they're easy. Throw it in and hit the dough button and you are done. On the downside, they heat the dough to speed rising -- which definitely detracts from the quality. Also, you can't control the process, such as using autolyse.

Still, if your choice is bread machine or store bought -- make it in your bread machine! I did it that way for years.

James

Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
I think there is an upside and a downside to bread machines. On the upside, they're easy. Throw it in and hit the dough button and you are done. On the downside, they heat the dough to speed rising -- which definitely detracts from the quality. Also, you can't control the process, such as using autolyse.

Still, if your choice is bread machine or store bought -- make it in your bread machine! I did it that way for years.

James
I usually just turn it off before the heated rise.

And start another batch.
The biggest problem I have found is timing.... Some dough ready before others...

My costs:

My pics: