Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   Disturbing film - don't look if easily offended (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/disturbing-film-dont-look-if-easily-5613.html)

Puy de Dome 11-20-2008 07:37 AM

Disturbing film - don't look if easily offended

BBC NEWS | Business | Inside a frozen pizza factory

Sorry guys.

:eek:

Breven 11-20-2008 08:59 AM

Re: Disturbing film - don't look if easily offended

I will never be the same after watching that. I'm not sure I want to live in a world where pizza is made that way. People actually eat this stuff! I feel so sorry for those that do...

mfiore 11-20-2008 09:35 AM

Oh, the horror!!!

Wiley 11-20-2008 10:37 AM

Aw, it's not that bad in a "Soylent Green" sort of way. But a video of the manufacture of those pepperoni sticks from feedlot to placing them in the slicing machine at this facility (or the meat counter where we purchase) might be enough to cause one to seek "professional help".

As a kid the school I attended took field trips to factories near where we lived. Ever since my brother saw how cottage cheeze is made he hasn't touched the stuff. Something about sweaty workers in chest waders shoveling the stuff put him off. I guess that shows my age: a school field trip to a factory.

Wiley

nodoubt68 11-20-2008 01:19 PM

ewwwwwwwwwwww....now I know why I,ve never eaten the stuff !

dmun 11-20-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

As a kid the school I attended took field trips to factories near where we lived. Ever since my brother saw how cottage cheeze is made he hasn't touched the stuff. Something about sweaty workers in chest waders shoveling the stuff put him off. I guess that shows my age: a school field trip to a factory.
I went on a tour of the River Rouge plant when I was a schoolchild and it didn't seem to do me any harm. I even bought a Ford once. Once.

About the mass produced pizza: it's pretty interesting. The only thing that's not strictly according to hoyle is the stamping out of the pizza dough, and I don't think it's that much different than the sheeters (mechanical rolling pins) that are used in commercial pizzarias. Of course we wouldn't pre-bake our skins, but in a frozen pizza operation it would just turn to mush without that step.

It's amazing to think about the industrial processes that give us cheap, wholesome, consistent food. It may not be ideal from a gourmet (or environmental) viewpoint, but it's one of the main reasons the world can support 6.7 billion people instead of the two billion or so that were around when I was a kid.

Les 11-20-2008 03:40 PM

Very interesting, and very efficient! But did she say that they run through a metal detector? :eek:

Les...

james 11-20-2008 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmun (Post 45510)
It's amazing to think about the industrial processes that give us cheap, wholesome, consistent food. It may not be ideal from a gourmet (or environmental) viewpoint, but it's one of the main reasons the world can support 6.7 billion people instead of the two billion or so that were around when I was a kid.

I'm good with the cheap and consistent, but I'm not so sure about the wholesome part.

It's a quandary. Not only are there 6.7 million of us, but huge numbers are climbing into the middle class and want more stuff (including cars, refrigerators, air conditioners, and food). I'm reading Freidman's "Hot, Flat and Crowded." Scary.
James

jengineer 11-20-2008 05:39 PM

Ah Pizza made with love just like my mamma used to....NOT

Yes the pizza goes through metal detection. with all the machinery it only takes one metal shaving or a lost bolt, nut, cotter pin, or other metal FOD to make the pizza have an off texture.

je

roncut 11-20-2008 09:53 PM

That was automation at it's best. I never liked frozen pizza anyway, and now have another reason for it.:D:D