Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Apprentice

Default Re: Disturbing film - don't look if easily offended

I don't think producing 300 million pizzas a year in Ireland is going to address any food shortage - these products are aimed at Westerners, not impoverished Sudanese children.

Secondly, pizza as nourishment? Maybe some of those on FB are 'healthy option', but these commercial pizzas? Proabably contribute to the obesity epidemic.

My favourite in the film,also, was that 'salami' wobbling around like rubber!

P de D
Old 11-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Disturbing film - don't look if easily offended

We are only seeing the final product being produced which I didn't find at all disturbing.
How about if we were to witness the slaughter of the animals and the making of the salami, the cheese or even the tomato sauce manufacture.
We here in Australia are mortified by the way our live sheep exports are treated by the Arabs and Middle easterners!!!! Some farmers have refused to continue with these exports.
It is what we don't see that gets my back up!
All the more reason to grow your own and at least you then have a pretty fair idea that what you put into your foods.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Neillís kitchen underway

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Wow! ...heavy stuff!

I remember seeing the inside of an egg farm in England years ago. It was awful, really really sad and disgusting - and that's one of the reasons I'm prepared to pay quite a lot more for organic foodstuffs.

Did you know that those little slices of boiled egg you get on salads and such (you do have those in other parts of the world, right?), are actually long reprocessed saussages of something that looks like egg white and egg yolk... that's why they're always the same size.

Yuck! Organic farming and home cooking (in a WFO) that's the way to go!

Old 11-23-2008, 05:16 AM
Master Builder

Quote:
As a kid the school I attended took field trips to factories near where we lived. Ever since my brother saw how cottage cheeze is made he hasn't touched the stuff.
My first-ever field trip, when I was in grade one, was to the Weston bread factory. I was sufficiently brainwashed to tell my parents I only wanted to eat that bread from then on.

My last field trip - and I don't know why the teacher chose it, but it would likely have got him fired if it happened today - was to a slaughterhouse! I became a vegetarian ... for about a week .

I have to admit that frozen and take-out pizza still make an occasional appearance at our house when time is tight and this video is unlikely to change that .

Maybe we need a poll on FB to find out how many of us with ovens still backslide sometimes?
Old 11-24-2008, 03:05 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah h View Post
Maybe we need a poll on FB to find out how many of us with ovens still backslide sometimes?
Ok ...but make it anonimous?

Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Apprentice

Quote:
My last field trip - and I don't know why the teacher chose it, but it would likely have got him fired if it happened today - was to a slaughterhouse! I became a vegetarian ... for about a week .
Reminds me of this famous quote: Laws are like sausages T-shirt from Zazzle.com
Old 03-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Laborer

The company I work for builds automated warehouses. I love automation. Admittedly there is a bunch of stuff I have seen that's much worse then this and that I try to avoid eating.
Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Commercial food processing is NEVER pretty! But packaging is almost always fascinating!

But then I am an engineer!
Jay
Old 03-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Journeyman

"Yes the pizza goes through metal detection. with all the machinery it only takes one metal shaving or a lost bolt, nut, cotter pin, or other metal FOD to make the pizza have an off texture."

...Off texture... You're killing me!

FOD walks. I was in AIMD so I never had to participate. I did enjoy watching the squadron members stroll down down the runways from the back dock of the paraloft.

Frozen pizza? You bet. Sometimes when I come sliding in sideways at about 1:30 AM, frozen pizza is melodically calling my name (LOoooSER...). 10 minutes later, I'm burning the roof of my mouth and all is right in the world.