Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 PM
Serf

Default Re: Crispy Pizza bottom

I have been searching for the crispier bottom too. On the theory that increased hydration would produce more steam, thereby lifting the crust off the floor and thus crisping it, I decided to add some potato flour since it retains moisture better than wheat flour. I used 5% potato flour by weight and increase the recommended 65% hydration by 4%. I.e. for a 500g flour recipe, that's 475g italian 00 flour, 25g potato flour, and 69% hydration ie 345g water. Not only that, but I sprayed about a tablespoon of water into the oven in the middle of the bake. The result was the lightest and crispiest pizza crust I've made so far.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Apprentice

After over a hundred pizzas we are at the point where we have the pizza dough down to a science or at least to what we and others find to be magnificent. We were using 3 cups of unbleached all purpose flour, 1 1/3 cups of water at approx 100degs, 5/8 teaspoon of rapid rise yeast, 2 teaspoons of salt (in the flour) and 1 tablespoon of EVO. The dough comes out light and airly yet crispy on the bottom. We are going to use half the amount of oil because we realized that when the dough is proofing we coat the bowl with a little oil and that works its way into the dough. This results in a crisp yet light cust that is outstanding. We also let the dough proof in the refridge overnight and relax several hours before we use it the next. At a floor temp of 750deg +/- the pizza cooks in about 90secs - 2mins and is great. We love those crispy crusts and if you don't smother the pizza with more than 1-2 toppings the bottom is nice. Why they sell pizza crust bubble poppers is beyond me. That is like a desert at the end of each slice eaten. We hope that winter is not too harsh so we can use it in CT without too much trouble. I figure we can make 2 inside and run them out, cook them and run them back in and repeat the process without getting too tired out.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

We find that the addition of some semolina into the dough (two tablespoons per 4 cups flour) does a great job of producing a crispier crust.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM
Serf

try a slightly lower oven temp, say 50 degrees less. A little more time on the hearth should crisp your bottom
Old 04-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Apprentice

Exactly what we did and it was great
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 PM
Peasant

Hi,
My first pizza caught fire.
Had to wait an hour to cool.
Then my dough was undercooked.
so you target 750-800 for oven floor?
how do you maintain that range?
Any other tips?
I do use an infrared temp gun.
thank you!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM
Apprentice

When the carbon on the top of the dome burns off I rake the fire over to the left side, brush off the floor and wait till the floor cools to approx 650. I have been doing that and the pizza takes a little longer but the dough cooks through and crisps up without the toppings becoming over done. The difference between cooking a pizza for 90 secs and 2.5 - 3 mins is huge. OH and I am not using a high gluten flour just all purpose and the crust is outstanding.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:51 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I use 1/5 semolina, and it gives great tooth to the dough and a nice crispy crust:

4 cups Bread flour or All Trumps bromated
1 cup semolina flour
3 cups water (+/-)
2 tsp salt
1tsp IDY

Hand mixed for a couple of minutes, then left to rise at 60-80 degrees for an hour or two in bulk. Then 7 stretch and folds, divided and balled into Tupperware and into the fridge for a minimum of 24 hours out to a couple weeks. I use them straight from the fridge. That will make 4-280 gram dough balls which I usually make into 14" pizzas.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Peasant

Hi,
I make the dough 2 days in advance, put immediately in the refrig in bulk, take out dough 2 days later, make balls, proof for 2 hours at room temp in the morning & make the pizza's in the afternoon. how does this sound?
Also, sometimes my dough has flatten out when I take it out of the refrig to make the balls.
Does that mean that I am using tooo much water or the wrong amount of instant yeast?
thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Peasant

sorry, the dough flattens out after I make the balls & so they lose their ball shape.
As a reult the dough is difficult to work with, thins out, & tears easily.