Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Common Mistakes, Pizza Disasters

Hi James!

Sounds like you have a bipolar love/hate relationship with cornmeal. Perhaps you need to find a corny psychologist to help you with your affliction! )

Actually, I hate to admit it, but I suffer the same syndrome. NO, for pizzas and yes for polenta and cornbread!

Ciao down!
Jay
Old 03-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Jay -- and cornmeal in whole grain, whole wheat sourdough.
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Peasant

My last party was small - 10 pizzas and we pre-cooked the dough for a few minutes then built the pizza on the cooked dough and then back in the oven to finish it off. No issues with sticking and they tasted great! I think we will do this from now on. I also found that if you pre-cook the dough the center is just as fluffy as the outside when finished. Using this method you can take your time and there is no stress about the sticking pizza phenomenon.
Old 06-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Apprentice

After some embarrasing failures in transferring the pizza from the plate to the oven floor I realised that, when heating the transfer plate for some 15-20 seconds in the oven before picking up the pizza with it, the tendency for sticking to he transfer plate reduced dramatically. It is probably spots of wet dough that tend to stick, and with a hot plate these spots will "bake" or dry out on the plate and ease the transfer.

Just my 2p worth of learning this week.

karl
Old 09-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't use semolina to prevent pizza sticking to peel (it burns very easily). Just use a good dusting of plain four for this purpose. Work quickly and it shouldn't stick!
Old 10-02-2009, 12:36 AM
Serf

Good post. I appreciate it
Many thanks to ur post. I love it.
Hi there, Would a new one like me be welcome here?
Thanks so much in deed.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:44 AM
Serf

this way looks nice i m gonna try it very soon

Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
Apprentice

Mine was pretty standard, first pizzas went OK. Second time out, the pizza stuck to the peel and flipped as I somewhat aggressively slid it in. Pretty much landed upside down and like the others, I started over. Son in Law had a great laugh though.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:14 AM
Journeyman

I am having problems shaping my pizza, the dough ends up being too thin in the middle ...paper thin and still thick around the last two inches. the more i try to spread it the thinner the center gets. i usually just give up and use the roller. i've watched many youtube videos including James' on shaping the pizza, tried to duplicate their hand motions and still can't get it right. I've gotten my dough right and stretchable with very little spring back so i know the problem is me. very frustrating.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Joey!

Make an effort to make it thick in the center. Shape it on the counter/in a sheet pan on flour and, after flattening the ball to a disk - maybe 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick, do the forming ONLY on the outside - leaving the center 3 inches or so untouched. As you finish the dough, the center will stretch and you SHOULD be able to get something more uniform. (There are lots of approaches to finishing - simple stretching over fists, flipping, etc.) It may be you need to drop your hydration to a level you can handle and then work your way back up to the oozy, soft dough that is giving you trouble.

Also...soft wet doughs should be handled VERY little. They will go thin very easily and need a quick, sure finishing touch. (Not held still for three seconds while it droops to the floor (just joking but it feels like it is doing that sometimes)

Good Luck!
Jay

Last edited by texassourdough; 03-13-2010 at 06:26 AM.