Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Master Builder

Default Re: Common Mistakes, Pizza Disasters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredo View Post
sorry
I never named names
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 PM
Serf

I think I will solve this problem soon.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Serf

One of the biggest mistakes that I ever made when first trying to make a pizza was to use "sugar" in the pizza sauce to sweeten the sauce. I later discovered that sugar is a "browning agent" that accelerates the browning process. Of course that means that some of the toppings don't get fully cooked.

Now instead of using sugar I'm using Parmesan cheese. It sweetens the sauce but doesn't have the browning affect that sugar tends to have.

Of course I've eaten to many of these things so now I need to go on a diet!
Old 03-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Serf

couple weeks ago my son, baker, slid his own pie in before opening. i fired the oven and had it so hot when it hit the floor poof up in flames.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Peasant

What about using pizza trays? At least it will slide off the peel easily and once slightly set you can remove the tray and finish the pizza cooking on the hearth bricks?
I haven't tried it yet, but thought I would this weekend. I have family over and can't afford any embarrassing moments.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
What about using pizza trays?
Getting it off the pizza pan at those temperatures will create worse problems than anything you can do with a peel. Besides, why build a brick oven if you don't cook on brick?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Serf

about my sons flaming pie, s,,t happens this is how we learn.. agreed use the floor, less is more. chicken on a spit thats fun. pans are not good idea where as they are usually alum, good for home maybe but never in my oven it melts around 1200 and rubs off on floor , ick

Last edited by tombomb; 03-18-2009 at 07:05 PM. Reason: not good answer
Old 03-18-2009, 07:03 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Getting it off the pizza pan at those temperatures will create worse problems than anything you can do with a peel. Besides, why build a brick oven if you don't cook on brick?
I agree with you, but as I mentioned, I can't afford any "stuff-ups" this weekend. Recently, the first round of pizzas slid off the peel just fine. Second time was fine. Third time was a ****ing disaster!

Can I just cook the pizzas on the tray so I remove the sliding off problem from the equation? I promise I'll only do it this weekend.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Brick Oven Merchant

Step back from the pizza tray! Please don't use a tray. :-)

Just keep practicing using enough flour on your pizza peel. Cooking pizza directly on the floor is the only way to go. It's the best part.

What type of peel are you using, and what are you using to keep your pizzas from sticking?
James

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by james; 03-18-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Step back from the pizza tray! Please don't use a tray. :-)

Just keep practicing using enough flour on your pizza peel. Cooking pizza directly on the floor is the only way to go. It's the best part.

What type of peel are you using, and what are you using to keep your pizzas from sticking?
James
I'm using a wooden peel to prepare on. Perhaps I just didn't use enough flour? Plus, I think I let them sit on the peel a little too long before I slid them off. As I said a few posts up, the first few times I cooked pizzas they slid off without a problem. It's just that I have quite a few people over this weekend and I just thought that preparing several pizzas on trays might make things a little easier?

Last edited by Balthazar; 03-18-2009 at 09:34 PM.