Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 02:19 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Common Mistakes, Pizza Disasters

I once stretched 30 x bases ahead of a party and separated them with baking paper. Just before cooking started I checked and found them all fused into one sticky mess and completely unusable. Fortunately I had a few trays of lasagne as a backup which turned out fine. I hadn't actually mentioned that we were having pizzas so nobody knew that there was a problem - except me!
Old 05-08-2011, 04:53 AM
Apprentice

Got the pizza oven too hot, so hot that once I put a garlic bread in and turned round to cut a finished pizza the garlic bread was black!

I have learnt to keep checking as it cooks at 550C in around 3 minutes!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:54 PM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Puaco View Post
#2 pizza stuck to the peel just enough that the toppings slid off the pizza and on to the floor. I learned that you need to use a fair amount of flour and keep the pizza movable when you approach the oven. Pretty easy clean up though. Just raked a few coals over the floor area and let it self-clean.
That happens to me all the time, toppings falling off the dough when inserting the peel in the forgo. Easy solution was to cook dough only for 1 minute and then add toppings. Works like a charm every time.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Apprentice

Instead of flour, use semolina, but not too much as it burns and would taint the pizza!

Bearing like tiny ball bearings, it is easy to get the pizza off the peel

Graham

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryls View Post
That happens to me all the time, toppings falling off the dough when inserting the peel in the forgo. Easy solution was to cook dough only for 1 minute and then add toppings. Works like a charm every time.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:41 PM
Laborer

I did many small pizza bakes and they came out great. Then I got cocky and tried to do 20 pizzas for my neighbors Super Bowl gathering (he paid for all the stuff).

I had a great pattern for making the the pizzas then putting them on the peel and sliding them into the oven. Except for the one that I did a little differently and move left when I should had stayed still and the raw pizza hit the dirt face down with everyone watching.

No excuses. Once you have set up an assembly line, do not break the pattern. Just keep doing the same thing over and over and all should go well.

Also, Have 2 peels. If one gets sticky or gets some sauce on it, you can give it to a bystander to clean. It gets them involved and keeps the whole thing going.

If I could have it my way, I would have one person making the pizzas and I would be at the oven. The through put would increase by 100% - better pizzas faster.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

If you're really trying to crank out pizzas fast (around 2 mins) I've found you really need two people prepping and one at the oven.To roll the dough and prep a pizza in 90 secs is pretty hard. Having two people working at it ensures you always have a pizza ready to cook. I usually manage the oven, dress, cut and plate the pizzas. If your oven is large enough to cook more than one pizza at a time then you may need three people prepping to get them out fast.