Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: cleaning ash before cooking

Ash is sterile and does not stick. I brush it out and cook pizza.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Journeyman

Yep, I only damp mop for bread baking. Sweeping is good enough for pizza cookery.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:39 AM

Quote:
The tube to blow the ashes sounds good but aren't those ashes going to fall back on the floor again???
Remember: you have a pretty fierce fire and strong draft going at this point. Any airborne fly ash is going to be sucked right out the flue.
Capt likes this.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:01 PM
Apprentice

Just a couple of quick questions... 1). the wet/damp mop won't hurt the oven floor? 2). I did pizzas for the second time Saturday night. Tried a wetter dough which definately worked better, and didn't let the oven get quite so hot. I used a brown rice flour for the peel and it scorched.. fine by me, but the kids complained.. bought a infrared thermometer at Harbor Tools this morning on sale for $39.95... is the floor too hot? is the rice flour the right kind? by the way, we only sacrificed one to the oven and the last one, pesto chicken and evo turned out perfect...
Old 10-25-2010, 01:08 PM
Apprentice

Just a couple of quick questions... 1). the wet/damp mop won't hurt the oven floor? 2). I did pizzas for the second time Saturday night. Tried a wetter dough which definately worked better, and didn't let the oven get quite so hot. I used a brown rice flour for the peel and it scorched.. fine by me, but the kids complained.. bought a infrared thermometer at Harbor Tools this morning on sale for $39.95... is the floor too hot? is the rice flour the right kind? by the way, we only sacrificed one to the oven and the last one, pesto chicken and evo turned out perfect...
Old 10-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Apprentice

by the way, how do i get the "peasant" changed?
Old 10-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I also use the pipe method, though mine is a 12mm (1/2") copper tube. Just remember to blow not suck. At pizza temp there should not be any black either on the dome or on the floor. Try throwing about 1/2 tsp of semolina flour on the floor. If the temp is right it should turn black in 3secs. 2 secs is too hot, it will probably burst into flame too, 4 secs is too cold, but will still cook the pizza, but it will take longer than the normal approximate two mins.
Dave
Old 10-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Journeyman

keep posting, peasant!

I use regular flour on my peel.

The oven needs to be as hot as it will get to start with--white dome all the way down. Once there and you move your fire off to one side, in 20-30 minutes the hearth will come down to a temperature that, at least in my case, remains at the ideal cooking temp for pizzas with just a stick of wood or two's worth of active fire.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Apprentice

I have had the dome completely white both times we've used it, but i did cook right after moving the fire to the back... maybe that's why the last pizza we did saturday was the best one.. thanks..
Old 10-25-2010, 02:42 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Don't know about brown rice flour. I've always used white rice and it's super-super fine, not gritty so I don't know if the brown affects the color or taste.

And anyone that has built an oven is certainly not a "Peasant", just a quite "Master Builder" .

-Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

My Oven Thread

Tags
ash, cleaning, pizza