Old 02-13-2008, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Calzone Pizzas

A stromboli is what you get when your pizza hits the back wall of the oven.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
Agreed
crash, bam, boom

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My costs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My pics:

Old 02-16-2008, 01:39 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

We make calzones when everyone is full and can't eat any more pizza. We just throw all the left over ingredients onto one or two bases, fold over, and shovel them in. The oven temp has usually dropped down by then and they cook slower. Pop them in the fridge. We usually eat them cold the next day. Great way to clean up.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Now that is a really good idea!

I've been wondering when and how to get the oven down to Calzone temps (thank you everone for all the great info!) without everyone already being stuffed to the gills... thought I'd fire up especially for Calzone one day, but that is a lot better.

Anymore pictures anyone? I'll be posting as soon as I've tried it...
Old 02-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Journeyman

I had baked the calzones at the end of the pizza parties as in the middle.
Usually I had baked pizzas around the 400șC and with live flames over it.
When baking calzonis at these temperatures, I just calm down the flames a little.
The best filling is, to me, ricotta cheese, boiled and drained spinach, ham, tomatoes sauce and a little schreded nutmeg)
The stromboli is made from the pizza dough, as is the calzone, and is filled and roled like a roll.
This one needs lower temperatures (around 250șC is ok) and I like to bake it and almost in the finish to make three or four deep cuts to make the center more crackery.
The stromboli accepts any stuff used to fill the pizzas and that is on the table. I prefer the strongs ones, like gorgonzola, pepperoni, slices of tomatoes, oregano, fresh basil and tomato sauce.

Luis
Old 02-21-2008, 03:33 AM
Master Builder

yeah I'm the same...make calzones at the end of pizza cooking.....usually the oven has slowed down to about a 7minute pizza (will have to measure temp next time). It usually sits on the opposite side to the coals/embers.

Before cooking them I usually rub the outside with a bit of olive oil to give them a nice golden look. Obviously a slower cook helps them cook right through and not be all doughy in the middle where moist ingredients are.

Old 03-23-2008, 07:54 AM
Peasant

I played around with calzones some also, but didn't have the patience to wait for the oven anymore and now I just make folded pizzas :-) Sauce and cheese over the entire pizza, "toppers/fillings" on half....let it cook for about 1/2-3/4 of its normal time, fold it in half to cover the toppers, cook for a tad longer (optionally flip it over to cook for a few more seconds), and you have it :-)
Old 03-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmun View Post
I thought I was the only one to do that.

"It's time to go Vertical"

Old 04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

In the meantime calzone has become a staple part of any pizza session... as David suggested, I wrap all the leftover toppings in the remaining dough and reheat or eat cold a couple of days later.

And they taste soooo good!! Who would have thought reheated pizza could taste as good as that?
Attached Thumbnails
Calzone Pizzas-calzonee-005.jpg   Calzone Pizzas-calzonee-006.jpg   Calzone Pizzas-calzonee-009.jpg  
Old 04-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Laborer

Agreed, it is a great to salvage all of the ingredients from the evening...at the same time satisfying the teenagers ubiquitous second wind. Then there are requests for the "stuffed breads" at the beginning of cooking...of which I adamantly decline as I tell them, "i built this as a pizza oven first and a stuff bread ingredient salvager oven second".