Old 04-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: Biga Based Dough

Hooray for ciabatta! I need to work on sourdough ciabatta!

Good Luck Thursday!
J
Old 04-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Rossco...

I have been working on your rubbery 40 % semolina problem. Do you know what the hydration was? With protein up to 15% or so semolina needs more water to be manageable from what I can gather. It probably needs another 5% or so hydration to give equivalent feel. (I need to check that out in an experiment!) Your description of the dough sounds a bit like what I felt my first batch of bagel dough from Sir Lancelot flour was like - somewhat underhydrated (due to the high protein) and rubbery, and minimal rise.

Also found that durum flour is very fine and has no graininess - so the gritty semolina - was properly semolina and not durum flour. Wish I could locate some durum flour to play with but it seems to be impossible to get in San Antonio!

Glad the catering went well!
Jay

Last edited by texassourdough; 04-22-2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

For those in North America that are interested in durum flour I think I found a source. Golden Temple Durum Atta Flour is grown by Smuckers of Canada in Canada. It is about 13 % protein according to their nutritional info - a little lower than the best durum but it is available in 5.5 pound and 20 pound bags for about $6 and $20 respectively - far better than the $8.50 a pound for KA (which is almost certainly better/higher protein). So the key is to find an Indian food market and we have those!

Yeah! I can get some durum and experiment!
Jay
Old 04-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hello Jay...

From what I have read, the "fine" semolina just needs a bit of extra hydration (about double the normal time) to get it ready for use. It should work OK and I belive that it is quite widely used in the pizza industry.

Just to clarify, I reduced the semolina component down to 7% to minimise the possible rubbery texture developing so I don't think that this would be the main causal issue of my current rubbery problem.

I tried to find out if there was indeed a correlation between length of kneading and rubberyness, but I wasn't able to confirm that. I kneaded the last batch of dough for about 8 minutes (until it took on a smooth texture). Could this have been too long perhaps? What are the signs that one need to look for to get the the correct rubberyness (extensibility)? Is this where the windowpane test comes into play?

I have tried to the the windowpane test in the past but I believe that you need to rest the dough for 10 mins before doing the test. If this is the case then the breaks in between will greatly increase preparation time.

Hydration levels were around 65 - 67% and the flour had 11% protein. Durham semolina was 12% protein.

Hopefully the rubberyness issue will be resolved soon.
Old 04-22-2010, 05:37 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Rossco!

I agree. I have heard semolina needs more time than durum flour. WRT hydration I was specifically referring to the 40 % semolina batch. And you are right, at 7% the semolina is not high enough to be a big factor. Rubberyness in my experience is associated with overworking/underrelaxing. (and based on your comments you should not be underrelaxed!) Also in my experience one cannot pass the windowpane test with rubbery dough. It needs to be relaxed. I would add more water and increase the hydration some more.

My previous comments about balling 00 flour dough balls on mixing is based on similar experience. If one balls them immediately they will be soft and extensible and wonderful but in my experience if I ball them after I take them out of the fridge they never relax and one gets a tougher, chewier dough.

Two suggestions - 2 minutes mixing (you can always add more later and/or folds to finisht the dough) and say 72 -74 percent hydration!

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 04-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thanks Jay - any thoughts about reducing the IDY in the biga from 0.5% to .2% to minimise bubbles forming after the dough has proofed at room temp for a few hours?
Old 04-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

I think your question about yeast is from another thread. And...the way it is written is an increase. I don't consider big bubbles an issue so I don't worry about them. I would not drop the IDY by more than half in one step. Then if it still bugs you you can go down further. A farily common complaint in biga based breads is failure to mix the biga thoroughly into the dough leaving pockets of old dough in the new dough matrix. I kind of suspect the big bubbles may be pockets of old dough. (Buth they shouldn't be with your mixer so???)
J
Old 04-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Yes, I cut my biga into small pieces first to ensure that it was correctly mixed.