Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/)
-   Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/)
-   -   Austrailian Pizza (http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f10/austrailian-pizza-14878.html)

sacwoodpusher 12-04-2010 12:08 PM

Austrailian Pizza

I have heard that one of the most popular toppings on a pizza in Austrailia is an egg.

Would some Austrailians mind replying, and filling me in on what kind of pizza would be made with an egg on top? Is just isn't done in the US.

I can envision a pizza with anchovies and an egg, although definately not parmesan or ramano cheese with that as that might get too salty.

heliman 12-04-2010 12:29 PM

Re: Austrailian Pizza

I can't speak on behalf of all Australians but egg on a pizza here is uncommon - particulaly in Western Australia. Don't think I've seen it offered on a single pizza menu here. Never made one either.

brickie in oz 12-04-2010 01:49 PM

Ive never seen egg on pizza. :confused:

Another one of them urban myths about Oz?

cobblerdave 12-04-2010 02:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 22385

Hope the quality is readable attached is menu from local pizza shop La Madrina in Manly Brisbane Australia.
If not to clear, the 4th down on left reads.....

AUSSIE
Tomato sauce,mozzarella cheese, ham,bacon & egg

How to make it ( yes I delivered pizza when we were young had 2 small kids and no money)

Tomato sauce on base cover with chopped ham and bacon. Break egg into your cupped hand over the pizza let the egg sorta run through your fingers so you get seperate runs of the yolk and white that settle in the bacon and ham. You cover the lot with shredded cheese so it protects the egg...bake to perfection...YUM..ooooooo.......
Definitly know this pizza is common in NSW and QLD.

regards dave

scottz 12-04-2010 03:43 PM

The only egg on a pizza I have seen is a breaky pizza. Tomato base, bacon, mushrooms and cheese. About 30 - 45 seconds before you finsh the pizza, take it out and crack an egg in the centre and throw it back in to finsh it off.

brickie in oz 12-04-2010 04:04 PM

So its an omelet with a pizza crust.....:eek: and who says Ozzies have no taste....

truckiejas 12-17-2010 09:40 PM

i had a pizza back in april from a pizza shop in coober pedy a house special that had everything on it including an egg cracked on the center wasnt too bad

GrahamG 05-08-2011 04:55 AM

I did a pizza (second firing of oven) with italian ham, asparagus and an egg in the middle, it was brilliant. This is something I had once in a UK restaurant and our own was better.

BradPQ 05-26-2011 10:32 PM

My first egg pizza was in a little Creperie in Victoria BC. It was a bit like a scrambled egg topped pizza with a very thin "Tyrolean" bacon. It was delicious. The chef said that they took a long time finding the balance of time and temperature to get it right. It always stuck with me. I am posting a couple of articles on Pizza Quest in the next week or two about doing a couple of Breakfast Pizzas for my wife for Mother's Day.

While filming at Pizzeria Mozza, Nancy Silverton served an amazing pizza with a runny yolk that she broke and spread around the pizza before serving. The pizza has an Egg, Bacon, Yukon Gold Tomatoes and Bermuda Onions!

Check out my attempts on the website and let me know what else you come up with.

Brad

BradPQ 05-26-2011 10:39 PM

Mozza Egg Pizza

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo Nancy's egg pizza. Delicious.