Old 05-27-2011, 05:24 AM

Default Re: Austrailian Pizza

An egg on a pizza is very common in France. It takes a bit of doing to do. You can't put it on before you slide the pizza in, or it will just fly. If you ladle it on once the pizza is placed, it tends to be raw by the time the pizza is done at WFO temperatures. The trick is to use a small egg (sold as medium in the US) and to have it at room temperature before you put it on.

That said, it's not one of my favorite toppings.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Peasant

Thanks for the advice on how to get the egg to cook. I've played with that a bit and this seems like good advice. In my upcoming post, I did a fried egg pizza. I took the egg and fried it part of the way - just enough to set the bottom was the idea. I flipped it to make sure it cooked enough in my home oven and it went a little further than I wanted, but was an interesting experiment. Will your idea of using a smaller egg at room temperature work in a home oven at 550 degrees?

Brad
Old 05-27-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Will your idea of using a smaller egg at room temperature work in a home oven at 550 degrees?
At the low temperatures you shouldn't have trouble with a normal sized egg. Should work fine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:40 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Austrailian Pizza

Hi wotavidone and welcome aboard,
I have added you to the ever growing list of Aussies around here contributing.
Where abouts in SA are you located, Adelaide metro or country?

Quote:
A very popular pizza in my group of friends was a 4 Seasons with egg and anchovies. Can't remember for sure what was on it, but I think it had, at least, tomato puree, ham, cheese, little green champignon mushrooms, sliced black olives, sliced chilli, pineapple pieces, anchovies and an egg cracked over the top.
little green champignon mushrooms, doesn't sound real flash to me, a little sus!
The rest of the pizza sounds appetising and no wonder it was popular.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 06-01-2011, 04:43 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Thumbs up Re: Austrailian Pizza

Wotavidone,
there is another forum member also at Port Pirie, "Dickydiedoe" (Richard) who you might contact and liase with for ideas.
I use to deliver firewood for starting the blast furnaces after relining in the late 1960's, in fact got mt truck licence then. My mate from Wirabarra supplied the smelters with thousands of tons of firewood for well over 40years, so we know it well.

Cheers.

Neill

The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know

Neillís Pompeiii #1

Neillís kitchen underway

Old 06-01-2011, 04:50 AM
Journeyman

wotavidone,

I too work at a smelter and am using fire brick from an oid boiler which tested clean. Being in the Environmental Department helps when getting material for "disposal". Not all refractories are high chromium type. Just get to know the folks in the Waste Group of the environmental department and check the MSDS of the refractories, then chat with your materials group and usually, you can get the stuff out with a "materials pass" or whatever the terminology that your company uses. With bricks weighing in at couple of kilo each, cost avoidance (even with the excellent metal prices) means a cost avoidance - which will make any manager happy!

Heck, I even just found out about a pallet of non-haz refractory cement that our mine inspector found in an old storage shed which is still in really good shape. And since there is always leftover brick from rebricking projects - you get the picture.

Well, gotta run - we are starting Turn Around (30 days) this AM and got to get the notices in and all that fun.

Be Safe!

Follow my build
Old 06-01-2011, 11:17 AM
Journeyman

Here's a link to Pizza Quest about eggs on pizza...

Mother's Day Breakfast Pizzas