Go Back   Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community > Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart > Pizza

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Il Pizzaiolo

Default Re: 70% hydration

Oh My God, Kosta, that pizza you re-created sounds fantastic! Top off all the truffle oil and mushrooms with fresh arugula, what a treat. I'm having my 1st pizza's this weekend so I'm going over everyones posts and re-learning hydration. I've got bags and bags of Caputo 00 (friends bought it from FornoBravo as wedding gift for us) and I've been saving it for this weekends real, full temp oven firing. I'll try some 68% hydration right at the start. What could go wrong (I mean right). ya-mas, Dino

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Oven Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hi Dino!

Good luck this weekend. First pizza parties are always fun but can be a bit interesting.

I would suggest being a little cautious with your flour and mix up a small test batch first (or do several batches) to make sure your hydration is right. The amount of water in the flour can make a BIG difference. As an exterme, I know a pizzaria that stores their flour in their kitchen which is relatively humid and the flour soaks up humidity. They mix at BP58% to get a dough that is in the 66 to 68 range - based on feel and behaviour. While your flour is probably dry, and being aggressive will probably be okay, you may want to mix a batch at 64 or so to make sure before you jump up to 68. You won't sacrifice much and even if all is well, the dough will be easier to handle. And, if all is well you can mix a second batch at 68 and begin learning to handle wet doughs!

Good Luck!
Jay
Old 06-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Il Pizzaiolo

Hey Dino- I used the "perfect dough by weight" recipe with my caputo and it worked great. (this was NOT the last time, when I messed up my measurements and had to rescue myself) I don't think it needed higher hydration than that. It was easy to stretch and made a lovely, lovely crust. If it were me, I'd try it that way and go from there.

Lucky you to have so many bags of caputo! I only have one left....

Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM
Peasant

Hello Dino,

I think 68% will be difficult to handle but since you have caputo flour maybe it will handle better.

I also wonder if the hydration is not the only problem. I worked my dough by hand and I thought it had the right consistency. Maybe I didn't work it enough to create the proper gluten development or maybe I worked it to much. Don't know at this stage. I forgot about the window pane test and I will try that next time.

This weekend we have some other friends coming over. Probably 12 Pizza's this time. For the last week and a half I've been working on a sourdough starter. Its not a specific one but something I captured myself. Seems to be quite active now and smells good. I wanted to try that as the next step. Probably will keep hydration at 70% just to see the difference.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
Sounds like you had a great party!

But why are you using both kinds of yeast together?

Why not? No specific reason apart for the date on the cube was close to expiry and I thought better safe the sorry..... Is that not a good practice to combine two yeasts?
Old 06-02-2009, 09:09 AM
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by exipnos View Post
Why not? No specific reason apart for the date on the cube was close to expiry and I thought better safe the sorry..... Is that not a good practice to combine two yeasts?
The thought of doing so just struck me as a bit curious so I was wondering. I understand "better safe than sorry" philosphy... I've been sorry before!

What originally had me wondering most was the quantity of yeast. But then I read that you already recognized the potential "excess" so I deleted my post. I know of no reason to not mix the yeast types other than many folks stick to one type for better predictability. I, for instance. am an ADY kind of guy. All of my attempts to use IDY have resulted in frustrating changes to rise times. I'd like to try fresh yeast but haven't found it readily or consistently available so I stick to ADY. I suppose it's all about what we get used to... and more about what works for us!