web analytics
How Big Can You Go - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

How Big Can You Go

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Big Can You Go

Here's a question. We made pizza this weekend for a neighborhood party, and I made 18 270 gr dough balls. They were all pretty much the same weight (I used a scale) and the dough was the same, as I blended three 1kg batches together.

One thing that was interesting was the huge variation is pizza size that different people made from the same basic dough ball.

I feel a competition coming how. How large of a pizza (inches in diameter) can you make with a 270 gr dough ball? Holes not allowed. The huge pizza on the cover of the FB Wood-Fired Pizza eBook is from Pellone in Naples, and they said the dough ball was 280 gr. That's one great pizza from 280 gr.

James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces

Re: How Big Can You Go

Does it have to be round?

Comment

I made a football.

Any takers on this one. I think it can be instructive trying to get that big, thin pizza.

James
      Pizza Ovens
      Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

I'm game... but my input will have to wait until next pizza session. I neither scale my dough or measure my (generally speaking) round pies. Most often, though, I make them 12.17 to 13.24 inches in diameter. I generally try for about 113 square inches. Any bigger and the crust is too thin for my liking.
        Last edited by BrianShaw; 05-28-2008, 10:42 AM.

Comment

pizzas here in brazil are 8 piece 32cm....

Comment

Ah, but how large is the dough ball? There are two sides to this equation -- you have to maximize your pizza size using a consistent (I think 270 gr is a good size) dough size. :-)

James
            Pizza Ovens
            Outdoor Fireplaces

Comment

Ohhhh!!

I can't wait till this weekend.

here's a pizza from a 1600 gram dough ball! click on the top pic all the way on the right

Picasa Web Albums - Dwats - Dough Techniques

does the biggest pie when a prize>?
              My thread:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
              My costs:
              http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
              My pics:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

I think that video of you flinging the dough wins a prize! Cool!!
                It also shows me my dough's been way too sticky and I have a lot more to learn about making pizzas.
                Thanks for that - it's a big help to see it in motion.

Comment

OK, I'm out... someone else will have to win the prize. Inspired by James' question/challenge, made pizza for dinner. For the first time in my life scaled the dough - what a surprise to find my dough balls were about 300 grams. From that the pies were about 28 cm. I could have made bigger but then wouldn't have wanted to eat them.

Comment

When you first posted this, I wondered why you didn't just give Dave the prize outright for that video. That's a big hunk of dough. Of course, I guess you actually have to make a pizza out of it...and that was probably a little big for your oven door, eh?

Comment

very instructive video Dave! Thanks for the tips.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed_ View Post
                        When you first posted this, I wondered why you didn't just give Dave the prize outright for that video. That's a big hunk of dough. Of course, I guess you actually have to make a pizza out of it...and that was probably a little big for your oven door, eh?
                        HEHE

Indeed! It was a bit big.

Best I can do is about a 16 inch pie in my oven.

Should be fun working with a 270 gram ball though!

High hydration... low hydration.. not sure which will work better for stretching/////
                        My thread:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...ress-2476.html
                        My costs:
                        http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...Xr0fvgxuh4s7Hw
                        My pics:
                        http://picasaweb.google.com/dawatsonator

Comment

Working...
                        X