web analytics
Perfect Neapolitan Pizza Dough?! - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Photo Galleries are back! Instructions below.

Dear forum users,
Thank you for your patience with the Photo galleries. We've got your galleries online!
We have finished writing a custom script to migrate the PhotoPlog to vBulletin5’s albums.

Unfortunately V-Bulletin killed the "Photoplogs" in their software upgrade which was unforeseen and we're the first development group to have written a script for getting the galleries back... that said, it took some time to reverse engineer the code and get the albums to move over seamlessly!

Forum users will be able to access their “PhotoPlog” images through their user profile page by clicking on the “Media” tab.
They will also be able to browse other albums by going to the albums page. (On the forum site, there is a link in the black bar beside “Forums” to the albums.)

In order for users to create an album please follow the steps below.
1) Go to user profile page and click “Media”
2) Click Add Photos
3) Enter Photo Gallery Title in the first field
4) Click Upload or Select from Photo Album to add photos
5) Click Post
6) Once posted, the album will be created as a “Topic” on the albums page for the public to see. The topic title will be the “Photo Gallery Title” they created before uploading their photos.

To create this migration path we used vBulletin5’s default album structure. Unfortunately, it won’t work like the “PhotoPlog” but is an album/gallery component on the forum now.
See more
See less

Perfect Neapolitan Pizza Dough?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect Neapolitan Pizza Dough?!

Hi all,

Ive been trying to make the perfect pizza dough, but still struggeling!!

I have a few Q!

The recipe ive been using is:

- 1 ltr of water
    - 1.7 - 1.8 kg of flower "all purpose"
    - 5 gr of fresh yeast or 10 gr of active dry yeast
    - 5o gr salt

i mix the salt then the yeast, when i make sure everything is mixed well i add the flower gradualy, i use a mixer.

after that i make the dough balls and let them rest for about 4 hours.

but the dough i get in the end, compared to the dough in napoli is a bit hard and dry! why is that?

Q.1- what does the salt do? if you increse or dicrease the amount?
    Q.2- what happens to the dough if you add olive oil, sugar?
    Q.3- what do you mean by fully hydrating your dough? how do you do it when using for example all purpose flower?
    Q.4- what is the real secret behinde getting the crispy napoli taste?!

Re: Perfect Neapolitan Pizza Dough?!

Question - is your brick oven up and running, or are you making pizza in a domestic oven? There is a world of difference between 500 degree metal oven pizza and 700 degree brick oven pizza.

All purpose flour, coupled with 55.5-58 percent hydration range you've quoted will give you a pretty stiff dough. Napoli pizza is hydrated in the 63 per cent range, and is pretty sticky and soft. It's also made from a special 00 pizza flour that's selected and milled to withstand the high temperatures. This combination will not do you much good in a home oven, however.

Sugar, honey, malt, oil are added in an attempt to get pizza to brown up crust in not-hot-enough ovens. They really aren't used in neapolitan style pizza, as they would blacken in the intense heat of the wood oven.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

southpaw,

Your on the right track, but get rid of that AP flour crap and spring for Caputo 00. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee it. If you have trouble finding it I will send you some to try. It's kind of like drugs, once you use it you get hooked on that perfect tasting crust.

We use 1.78K of flour to 1 liter of water. Divide the water in half and mix the fresh yeast in one and the salt in the other, but never together.
      4-5g of fresh yeast is the correct amount for a 1.78k batch. Measure the flour into a container and pour in the 500ml water/yeast mixture and mix thoroughly before adding the remaining water/salt combination.
      Knead by hand for 20 minutes and divide into 9.5oz balls. Proof for 4 hours as you are doing. Now you are ready.

Let me know if you want some 00 to try.

Good Luck,

Tom in PA

Comment

I know I have posted this before, but thoroughly read FornoBravos pizza pdf and then thoroughly read Jeff Varazano's webpage. Both are very detailed and will give you a good foundation to learn. The best way to learn is by doing.

Dmun is right, I assume we are talking brick ovens here. Pizza stone and conventional oven is a whole different animal.

Just a few things I have learned.
        I use 50% King Arthur and 50% Caputo. It gives basically the same texture as 100% Caputo but increases the workability (for me anyway) and extends my Caputo supply.

Have made 50% whole wheat, 40% Caputo, 10% AP and used small amounts of honey and oil without any issues with burning. For wheat pizza, at the moment, I prefer 33% whole wheat, 33% KA AP, and 33% Caputo.

The overnight refrigerated retarded rise provides the best flavor.

High hydration is very important for brick ovens.

I am not even close to being considered a proffesional (despite what my family and neighbors say ) but just an experienced beginner still learning alot and enjoying every minute of it.
        Wade Lively

Comment

Working...
        X