web analytics
How wet is too wet? - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

1 of 2 < >

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum members.

As many may have noticed already, the Community Forum site was briefly down today. While working on scheduled routine maintenance, we encountered an error when trying to add a software update. As the site is now back up and running, some of you may notice that some recent data has been misplaced from November 10th up to today. We are currently working on resolving the issue. The forum has full operational capabilities and we encourage all forum members to continue actively posting in the threads.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this issue may have caused you. The Forno Bravo family values each and every member of our community. If you have any issues or concerns, please feel free to let us know on our issues thread here:

Thank you for understanding.
2 of 2 < >

Forno Bravo Forum Thread Message

Hello, Forno Bravo Community Forum Members!

The Forno Bravo team has heard the feedback in regards to the community forum. We wanted to take the time to re-enforce our commitment to a fully engaged Forum with professional moderation.

Our top priority as a company is to fix all forum errors and issues that you are experiencing. As we are swiftly working on these problems, we want to say that we highly value the Forum Bravo Community Forum and every single community forum member.

We have set up this thread so that every member can address any concerns, issues and questions about the forum. Please feel free to ask whatever you would like in regards to the forum; let us know what issues you are experiencing so we can work on resolving them as fast as possible. However, we stress that we would like constructive engagement, so please be specific about the issue you are experiencing.

Thank you for all of your patience and continued support.

Link to topic: http://www.fornobravo.com/community/...with-new-forum
See more
See less

How wet is too wet?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How wet is too wet?

I've been working my way through Peter's book, and having some success, but I really struggle with how wet the dough should be.

I'm pretty visual, so I think photos (or video) of others' success would be very helpful for someone like me. Does anyone have any prize photos of your masterpiece coming together you'd like to share? YouTube link?

Re: How wet is too wet?

Here are some random pics of a wet dough. I don't weigh but I would guess it is in the range of 65-70%
    Attached Files

Here is another that shows how wet it really is. This is just prior to balling.
      Attached Files

While in general the wetter the dough the better IMO, there is little point in making dough that you cannot reasonably handle. (I would say the goal is generally to make a dough that is as wet as you can reliably handle.) Don't worry about pursuing hydration until you have things under control. If you make a 65% dough and have problems, drop the hydration to 62. If you still have problems go to 60 or 58. You are unlikely to have to go below 55 unless your flour is really weak/low protein or your handling skills are pretty poor. Increasing the mixing time will tend to make the dough more manageable (but has other issues so is not really recommended but...).

Peter's recipes work well. The retard is an important flavor builder. (The worst aspect of Peter's recipes is that they are not in grams!) Use a scale. It will make your results much more predictable.

It is not particularly difficult to work with wet dough - once you understand how. Don't be afraid to use plenty of flour on your hands and on the counter/surface where you shape the dough. And use semolina on the peel. And...use a wooden peel for putting the pizza in the oven. They stick less than aluminum. And be fast, don't let a pie sit on the peel for 20 minutes. (or use parchment paper - especially if you find yourself with dough you can't handle gracefully).

Good lUck!

Or the slotted peel, it actually works better than wood, and naturally removes 95% of the bottom flour on use. I also use my dough cold, straight from the fridge, and that helps too.

The hydration also varies with the flour, Caputo 00 really doesn't need anything over 60-63% while the King Arthur bread flour/semolina dough that I usually use requires more hydration for the same flavor and spring.