web analytics
Flower pot as a cloche - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

We are continuing to work diligently to resolve the issues currently being experienced with the PhotoPlog. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Flower pot as a cloche

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flower pot as a cloche

As some of you know, I don't have a WFO, but I have a fairly serious gas oven with a pizza stone. The last time I made bread, I heated a large terra cotta flower pot to 550F along with the stone, then inverted it over the bread. Got a decent crust out of it (not as good as the WFO, but passable) and fantastic spring. Halfway through I vented it by placing firebricks (which had also been preheated) under the flower pot on two sides.

Just thought I'd pass this along to my WFO-deficient cohort.

Re: Flower pot as a cloche

This four quart pyrex bowl works good too, on a pizza stone or a WFO floor.

As an added bonus, you can see through it, to see if your bread is getting too brown.
    My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

That's the first picture I habe see of that dome, Dmun. Is that the 'geodesic' design you made?

Looks fantastic with some soot markings on it.

Sorry if I'm behind the times - I did read your thread about the construction.

Comment

That picture was taken after a fire was started, and then not brought up to temperature because pizza night got delayed. It usually doesn't stay black very long.
        My geodesic oven project: part 1, part 2

Comment

Ah, yes, of course.

When the oven cools a bit, (or completely?) does it go back to being this sort of colour?

My guess is yes. Gives real definition to the joints in the bricks.

I know I'm only referring to the appearance of the oven, please don't think I'm overly concerned with at - I do appreciate the effectiveness of the round dome in the oven.

Comment

Working...
          X