web analytics
Broiler vs. Simply Upper-Oven - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

Broiler vs. Simply Upper-Oven

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broiler vs. Simply Upper-Oven

Prior to getting my Primavera 70 I cooked pizza on a stone in my oven (probably like everyone other WFO owner). When the outdoor weather is bad, I still use the stone.

Indoors, I have always cooked on the upper oven grate, but never used the broiler function as the heat source. You'd think the broiler-stone combo would give a lot better results than a standard oven bake at 550F, since the stone and oven ceiling would get much closer to 800F. Is this true?

I don't want to burn a pizza by trying the broiler method. And I don't want to crack my stone due to the rapid heat application from the broiler.

If anyone has experience with a broiler-stone pizza, I'd like to hear it.

Re: Broiler vs. Simply Upper-Oven

Lots of people have had success with broiler + stone cooking. Check out the pizzamaking.com forum, there are a lot of posts on the technique. There's also an interesting technique with a cast iron skillet preheated over high on a stove then placed upside-down under the broiler, seems to work well in a conventional oven (haven't tried it personally).

Comment

Re: Broiler vs. Simply Upper-Oven

I place my oven racks in 2 places. One in the top third and one in the bottom third with a pizza stone on it. Oven at 500 degrees.

I prepare the pizza on a pizza screen and place on the top rack for about 8 minutes.

Peel off the screen and place on stone for about 4 minutes. Perfect crust and toppings every time. No broiler. I would think that the toppings would burn before crust was cooked.
      Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

Working...
      X