web analytics
San Marzano tomatoes - redux - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Announcement

Collapse

Forum Issues Update

Things are progressing in getting things back in order on the Forum! User avatars should be showing up. Attachment and inline images are in the process of being uploaded. We are still looking for a migration path for the Photoplog gallery. Thank you for your patience!
See more
See less

San Marzano tomatoes - redux

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• San Marzano tomatoes - redux

We made pizza without San Marzano tomatoes yesterday -- and I was struck by how big the difference is between the those, and a high-end U.S. whole peeled tomato.

Basically, we ran out of the good San Marzano's (that Forno Bravo sells) at the house, and I was lazy, and decided to not drive down to the warehouse to pick up a can. I found a can of Progresso whole peeled tomatoes to use in the pantry. First, they are really tough. I tried mashing them with my potato masher -- to no avail, and I ended up having to us a stick blender. The sauce was thin and the flavor just wasn't the same. There really wasn't any nice meat to the tomatoes. The sauce wasn't as fresh or bright tasting. I tried to gussy it up with olive oil, salt and oregano, but again to no aval.

For me, the lesson is "use the good tomaotes." I guess this is a shameless plug -- but hey, it's still good advice.

Enjoy your long weekend,
    James
    Pizza Ovens
    Outdoor Fireplaces
Working...
X